Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on MAF

Would putting a MAF on a stock 02 WS6 make much difference in power or would i be wasting my money since i plan on using a hand-held power programmer (any recommendations on which is the best to go with there?)
I'm also still confused on what i posted the other day. I read one of the stickies which did help out a lot, but is everyone just using a new air lid only or going with the whole package of lid, k&n filter, and smooth bellow. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go on that.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Aftermarket MAF's can cause real headaches. The stocker is good for 400 hp so I would say just save your money for something else that really adds power, like headers or a good lid. Go to the top and read all the stickies for modding. When your done with that show back up and there will be a test.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave that stock MAF in there. As far as tuners, don't waste your money on hand helds. Spend the lil bit extra and get HPtuners or LS1EDIT.....you'll be glad you did.

The lid deal...I just bought a SLP lid and holley powershot filter. I don't have the smooth bellows. I guess if you want it or plan to get it sometime in the future then if you can get a good deal on all of it together that would be fine.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

aftermarket mafs typically cause problems, and the k&n + smooth bellows are in my opinion more trouble than they are worth too. The oil from the k&n can get on the maf and trip an SES and the smooth bellows are just a pain to work with for a minimal gain if any
Old 12-26-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't comment on the smooth bellows, never had one. But I have been using gauze type oiled filters for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem. It's all about knowing what your doing when cleaning/reoiling the filter...simple as that
Old 12-27-2005, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Go to a proffessional tuner for $200 or so you'll get alot more
than the handheld and save money.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:37 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a stock maf with screen in place with 425rwhp. Didn't upgrade (to a PACE 85mm Z06 MAF) until I swapped to a FAST90mm.
Stock MAF is the best way to go on a stock diameter intake.
On a stock setup, all an aftermarket MAF or (MAF ends) does is lean your engine out a bit for a small bump in power.