Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question regarding setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding setup

Hey,

I'm pretty new on this forum and I'm trying my best not to be a newb regarding questions. I did a search for this and didn't find anything so I'm hoping maybe someone with a similar setup can give me an assist.

We're putting the finishing touches on my car before it's assembled and sent to be tuned so I wanted some input. I have the STS upgraded kit w/methanol (not the FMIC because I'm planning on doing that in a few months as my own project) on my 94 LT1 Formula and I had a few questions. #1, is there any benefit in upgrading the intake manifold? I've talked to some people and pretty certain it's unnecessary, but I want input from a few sources. The current has already ported and been fitted with the dual 58mm throttlebody. I'm using 60 pound injectors at the moment. #2, I know STS recommends using stock headers but that seems off a bit - are there any good turbo use headers for rear mount or otherwise for such an application? As a background, I have forged connecting rods, custom 8.5-1 forged pistons, a forged crank and a pretty good deal of work done to the block. I've dumped about 5K just into just that so far

Also, I'm wondering how restrictive the catalytic converters are on a turbo setup? I've been told to remove them by a handful of my short-sighted friends, but if I do I'm gonna wait until smog comes up in February. Is it worth it to remove em? Oh, and one more thing, any recommendations for fuel pump? I've got my eyes on Walbro forced induction pump thanks to some good advice, but has anyone had success with other brands they'd like to suggest?

I'm thinking she'll be ready to go by the end of January, she's been out of commission for almost 5 months now since my stock transmission and clutch was crushed into bits. Thanks very much for any help, it's defitently valuable
Old 12-28-2005, 05:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock LT1 intake manifold seems to be as good as they get. The LT4 intake will match up to the raised ports in the LT4 heads, but that is the only reason to use it.

There is no reason not to use headers. They are going to get the flow out more efficiently, meaning there will be more exhaust pressure to spool the turbo.

Removing the cat(s) does increase exhaust flow, so again the turbo will spool faster. Cats also have a habit of breaking apart, which could then ruin the turbo.

We use the Holley/Walbro pn# 12-914 in tank pump, which is spec'd out for forced induction. The 60lb injectors are a good way to go. Bob