Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger boys running FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default procharger boys running FMIC

I have searched and I cant' seem to find a lot of info. I am looking to see how many of you guys are running a Front mount intercooler, instead of the procharger intercoolers like the twin high flow system.
I have and LT1 car but would probably be similiar to an LS1 as well.
Looking at some nice OBX intercooler, and I would not think it would be hard to get the metal tubing and parts to make it a simple bolt-on application.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy converted his from the twins to the 4" OBX.

Intake temps dropped dramatically.

As in 40+ degrees dramatically.

And yes it was not hard at all to convert over.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I am geting my FMIC/Mondo by pass valve installed as we speak. I just ordered the whole kit from Synergy Motorsports. It has everything included in the kit. All you do is cut/weld/bolt.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did it myself not hard just time consuming with cuttin all the pipes the right way.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did mine myslef with the OBX 3" FMIC... back when i WAS running a SC setup.

Here are a few pics of mine...... bought the 3" Stainless piping on Ebay also.... used High Temp Silicone for all the couplers... awsome stuff.

Kyle
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

my biggest concern with doing a FMIC is the removal of the bumper support. I know if I get in a fender bender the car would be totalled. and with putting all of the money that is going into the car, I dont want to risk that. that is what turns me away from the FMIC. I did see a bracket on one of the pics. does that replace the bumper support. and is it as strong or close to being as strong as the stock piece.
thanks
Wesley
Old 12-29-2005, 04:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

A mild fender bender would not total the car. There are a lot of parts up front that would absorb a lot of the energy.
Kyle, you did a really nice job with your front mount. Bob
Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Bob i was happy with it..... then the turbo bug bit me...

My setup i used the front bumber support and mounted the FMIC to it.... i dont see why it wouldnt be any weaker.... you can cut the foam around it also so u can keep it too...
here's some pics of the bumper support.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

I am using a monster Griffin intercooler with my set up.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
I am using a monster Griffin intercooler with my set up.

I love that front bumper.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

NA$TY-TA I have been trying to View PICS of your FMIC setup when I searched but it seemed like the pics were down at the time. I have a 96 T/A BUT I have the LS1 Ws6 front clip on it, I like how you cut around the bumper support and welded on a Bracket to stabalize the intercooler. Lucky for my My dad is a 35 year Experienced Welder, and I just ordered a A lift so I would think installing it would not be hard.
Also did you Buy the piping PRE-Bent or did you have an Exhuast shop use there Pipe bender on it.
I plan on Running the Firebird Evolution front Bumper cover with black Grilles in the openings.

As far as cleaning the FMIC, say when washing the car would it be harmful to the intercooler to maybe spray it off and maybe try to clean it???? I figure with the openings in the Bumpe cover the intercooler would get dirty??

NoMoreLS1 I am the same guy who had the Converted Super VIc on camaroZ28.com and this same forum, I was the guy building the single plain, Ported Afr heads 396 combo. I am keeping the heads for the Blower motor (383) but I am selling the converted and EFI Super Vic, ITs the same intake on Big Ricks Turbo 8.08 1/4 car, I have the carbon Fiber Piece and all, 90MM polished TB, 100 degree Elbow, ETC. Bret Bauer is finishing it up right now. IF you know anyone who is interested Tell them I have one for sale. I have over 1650 in it I will take 1250 Shipped to the door. Thanks man.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by fastlt1
I love that front bumper.
Thanks!

Here's another...
Attached Thumbnails procharger boys running FMIC-bird.jpg  
Old 12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by T/A KID
NoMoreLS1 I am the same guy who had the Converted Super VIc on camaroZ28.com and this same forum, I was the guy building the single plain, Ported Afr heads 396 combo. I am keeping the heads for the Blower motor (383) but I am selling the converted and EFI Super Vic, ITs the same intake on Big Ricks Turbo 8.08 1/4 car, I have the carbon Fiber Piece and all, 90MM polished TB, 100 degree Elbow, ETC. Bret Bauer is finishing it up right now. IF you know anyone who is interested Tell them I have one for sale. I have over 1650 in it I will take 1250 Shipped to the door. Thanks man.
I'll spread the word.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

NA$TY-TA I have been trying to View PICS of your FMIC setup when I searched but it seemed like the pics were down at the time. I have a 96 T/A BUT I have the LS1 Ws6 front clip on it, I like how you cut around the bumper support and welded on a Bracket to stabalize the intercooler. Lucky for my My dad is a 35 year Experienced Welder, and I just ordered a A lift so I would think installing it would not be hard.
Also did you Buy the piping PRE-Bent or did you have an Exhuast shop use there Pipe bender on it.
I plan on Running the Firebird Evolution front Bumper cover with black Grilles in the openings.

As far as cleaning the FMIC, say when washing the car would it be harmful to the intercooler to maybe spray it off and maybe try to clean it???? I figure with the openings in the Bumpe cover the intercooler would get dirty??
You should of Just Pmed me...... i switched sites.... i know share the domain name itlxlr8.com with my brother..... i have over 30 pic's of that install on there.....
Here is the link.....
http://www.itlxlr8.com/images/Old%20FMIC%20Pics/

Wash it.. its sealed.....

Kyle
Old 12-29-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks NoMoreLS1, your car is such a damn sleeper, I would think by looking at the outside that it would be nothing to worry about, BOY WOULD THEY BE WRONG, lol

NA$TY-TA Thanks, I have been looking for a few days about seeing how to mount this intercooler, From all your pics It will be easy now, lol I will just do it like yours. What are the demensions of your intercooler. I am just going to run a OBX and I may try to get a 4inch setup, but a 3inch would probably be fine for my application, most of you boys run a 3inch inlet outlet I suppose, right?
Your right I should have just PMed ya
Thanks Fellas

One more thing, I have never heard a Procharger setup in real life, only on videos, is there a noticeable Wine from the charger, or does it depend on what Head unit??? Sorry for the Novice questions,
Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks NoMoreLS1, your car is such a damn sleeper, I would think by looking at the outside that it would be nothing to worry about, BOY WOULD THEY BE WRONG, lol

NA$TY-TA Thanks, I have been looking for a few days about seeing how to mount this intercooler, From all your pics It will be easy now, lol I will just do it like yours. What are the demensions of your intercooler. I am just going to run a OBX and I may try to get a 4inch setup, but a 3inch would probably be fine for my application, most of you boys run a 3inch inlet outlet I suppose, right?
Your right I should have just PMed ya
Thanks Fellas

One more thing, I have never heard a Procharger setup in real life, only on videos, is there a noticeable Wine from the charger, or does it depend on what Head unit??? Sorry for the Novice questions,

Ok these vids are a lil old..... and dont do like i did before i didnt know better... with this setup use a bypass valve and not a BOV like i did and had to sell it.. the 2nd vid you can hear the chirp of the BOV at cruise...... My setup got a louder whistle at idle once the FMIC was on.... i loved the sound....
1st vid wait till the end of the vid... the windows are up ha ha LOl

http://www.itlxlr8.com/vids/InCarVid.wmv

2nd vid....

http://www.itlxlr8.com/vids/BOV.wmv

Kyle
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you explain the difference between a bypass valve and a BOV setup, I am and amatuer when it come to Forced Induction, lol. Also can you get me the demisions of that intercooler, you run a OBX don't you,

P.S. when that window roled down in the first video that was music to my ears, ME LIKE you were running a D1 in that video right???
Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Sleeper? I don't know about that. I tried my best to maintain a clean look. I really wanted to keep the stock hood, but I had to use a Glasstek fiberglass ram air hood to clear the intake set up.

Here are a few video clips of the 'Bird on the dyno. Sorry that they turned out so dark. Hopefully you will be able to lighten up the video to get a better view. But the audio more than makes up for it. :o)

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4
Attached Thumbnails procharger boys running FMIC-flp-badst-95.jpg  

Quick Reply: procharger boys running FMIC