Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just installed the 4.10's

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed the 4.10's

Just installed the 4.10's today, and not a minute too soon. Both carrier bearings were shot. Still together, but really pitted. They were a b#%ch to get off, too.

What a big change from stock. I lost 15 mph at 2000 rpm. I can get it in 4th at 30, 5th at 40, and 6th at 55. I can tell the car's going to be quicker, but I'm still babying the gears for a few hundred miles before changing the gear oil again.

I'm going to have to re-learn all the downshift points quick, before I over-rev it
Attached Thumbnails Just installed the 4.10's-new_gears.jpg   Just installed the 4.10's-shot_carrier_bearing.jpg  
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fun. I just finished my 4.10 buildup of a spare rearend and will be installing it today. I started with a new carrier so didn't have the luxury of having to pull the old bearings off. Would it have been easier to pay a few dollars to have a shop press them off rather than heating them?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Sounds like fun. I just finished my 4.10 buildup of a spare rearend and will be installing it today. I started with a new carrier so didn't have the luxury of having to pull the old bearings off. Would it have been easier to pay a few dollars to have a shop press them off rather than heating them?
There's a little tool you can get that's like a two-piece collar with long bolts connecting the halves. You slide it over the bearing and screw it in so that it prys the bearing up, but it's a joke when the bearing is really on there. You can press them on, but I don't know if you can press them off. The torch worked in about 3 minutes of fooling around, and no problems with the differential. We pressed the new bearings on. The pinion bearing was in good shape, so we only replaced the seal. The next 30 days are going to be tough, not being able to beat on it...