Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Cleaning Questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Cleaning Questions ??

I am trying to clean the MAF Sensor on my 99 SS that has the SLP Cold air ind. and the SLP MAF. It looks to be pretty dirty, especially the screen. My question is whether the screen is able to be seperated from the main body of the MAF. With the screen on it is pretty difficult to get the the front of the wires on the MAF.
I have heard of people removing the screen and running without it, but I am not sure if that is a good idea or not.
Any helpful tips about this project would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-28-2005, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

The MAF ends can be removed, it's 4 torx bolts. This will expose the main body of the MAF sensor. Electronic parts cleaner works good on the MAF wires, I got mine from Radio Shack and used that plus a Q-tip. I've heard of others using rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip, just be very careful not to apply much pressure on the wires with the Q-tip.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Restricted User

Ditto on the cleaning procedure, although I used Brake Cleaner & QTip, let it dry thoroughly before reinstall (only takes a couple minutes). Then do not oil down your filter afterwards either, very very light coat if any.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

search and you will find all the info you were looking for + some.