Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

just got my tig welder but have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my tig welder but have some questions

ok i just got a miller maxstar 150 stl in a trade. so far i have just been using it as a stick welder because i dont have the tig torch or regulator. i have some elementry question about tig welder. they may seem silly to you pros.

1. ok i know that this welder is a dc welder meaning it using the negative lead for the tig torch. is there any major negative to this? iv heard it cant weld aluminum which is ok with me.

2. i can order the regulator and tig torch from the local robert's oxygen. when i get eveything hooked up how much gas should i get and when im welding how much gas should be flowing to the tip?

3. what gas should i get? iv heard that helium is best for dc tig welding. iv also heard argon is good.

4. the gas goes through the welder, so does the welder control the amount of gas/ when the gas is on and off? when i stop welder will the welder cut the flow of gas?

i know these are simple, elementry questions to you guys but other than some reading i dont know alot about tig welding so any help\tips you guys can give me will help.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

for basic tig welding, get argon gas; the flow regulator that you'll have hooked up on the bottle will dictate the gas flow, and you'll set it pry about 15-25 cfh....the foot or hand control will dictate when gas flow starts and stops, i don't think yours has a pre or postflow option?

the dc will be fine, you can weld thick aluminum(with helium mixes) with it but it's not ideal...
Old 12-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, just get Argon. Its the best all around.

You can weld steel with CO2, but the best all around for plain steel is Argon/CO2 82/18. But any Argon or Argon/CO2 mix will also work a little better than plain CO2.

Stainless welds best all around isw Argon/CO2 at about 97/3, but pure Argon does great.

Aluminum generally welds best with Aluminum/Helium at about 60/40, but pure Argon does a great job too.

Pure Argon does it all very well. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Also if they try to sell you a tri-mix gas, RUN! A tri-mix is just a way to make money for the air supplier. As a Mechanic (not a weldor) you don't need anything other than argon, unless you only do radiators or exhaust work then you might consider a mix.

As I said don't let anyone talk you into tri-mix or any other exotic gas mix. They only sell these because these gases are by-products that used to be wasted and they are trying to make money from what used to be discarded. If you don't believe that, then check with any engineering department at a major university.

Oh yeah, the reason for so many different gas mixes, (not tri-mixs which are not needed for anything) is production/robot welding. Here time is money, and anything that requires extra care/skill/time/technique/restarting is expensive. Mixed gas just makes it easier for the robot welder to start and keep welding without mistakes. Welding by hand lets you adjust your speed and technique, so pure Argon will do a great job.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks alot guys, i think i got some good background info now.

Quick Reply: just got my tig welder but have some questions