Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

crush sleeve or pinion shims

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crush sleeve or pinion shims

I'm planning a 10 bolt rebuild soon and I'm buying the required parts. Can someone help me to understand the crush sleeves purpose. Explain the crush sleeve vs the pinion shims? Also I have not found a good write up on installing the pinion shims.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Banned

The crush sleeve is to put preload on the inner & outer pinion bearing. However if you are rebuilding the rearend I would recommend the Ratech solid pinion spacer. It takes a bit more time to setup but is better for strength
Old 01-02-2006, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, the solid piece helps out. I'm running a 10-bolt with a T2R differential and 3:42's with solid pinion. So far, 3 years of beating the snot out of it with drag radials and it's still going strong.

Unfortunately, I've never seen a write up in 5 years on these boards.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What they said (I have the Ratech solid pinion spacer - piece of cake to install and set up, well worth the time).

As far as the pinion shims, this normally refers to the shims that are placed between the pinion gear and the large pinion bearing. This one is used to set the pinion depth in the housing, and it is a pain in the *** to adjust because the bearing is pressed on and requires a press to get it off again.

I would recommend using Ratech's extreme pinion bearing shim kit instead. This kit places the shims behind the large pinion bearing race, instead of behind the bearing itself. This means that you can easily adjust the pinion depth without the use of a press by tapping the race out of the housing and replacing the shims when you need to make an adjustment. You just press the large pinion bearing onto the pinion without any shims, and use shims behind the bearing race instead. It is really a great idea !

Clear ?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

do not use a crush sleeve because if you drive hard it will change the preload after time and youll have to go threw the rear end again use the spacer
Old 01-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRex
What they said (I have the Ratech solid pinion spacer - piece of cake to install and set up, well worth the time).

As far as the pinion shims, this normally refers to the shims that are placed between the pinion gear and the large pinion bearing. This one is used to set the pinion depth in the housing, and it is a pain in the *** to adjust because the bearing is pressed on and requires a press to get it off again.

I would recommend using Ratech's extreme pinion bearing shim kit instead. This kit places the shims behind the large pinion bearing race, instead of behind the bearing itself. This means that you can easily adjust the pinion depth without the use of a press by tapping the race out of the housing and replacing the shims when you need to make an adjustment. You just press the large pinion bearing onto the pinion without any shims, and use shims behind the bearing race instead. It is really a great idea !

Clear ?
The extreme pinion bearings shim kit isn't a bad idea. I just sacrificed a new pinion bearing and machined out the center a bit so I can remove and install it with a tug of the hand. This makes rearend work even easier than knocking a race in and out.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just got some new 4.10 gears in the mail with the raytech complete install kit. do i still need to get the solid pinion spacer???

Quick Reply: crush sleeve or pinion shims