Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How long do you think it will hold up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How long do you think it will hold up?

My 98Zs M6 rear end is making noise right now, bearing noise i guess. The fluid has a little metal in it. My question is how long do you think my 10 bolt will last if i have it rebuilt with the full rebuild kit plus 4.10s and my ol' MAC cover thats laying around. 275 tires all around, I've never taken this car to the track, and when i nail it im already moving a few miles an hour. I was thinkin about a 9" for a while just to get it over with but id rather have it paid for before i drop $2500 in something that wont effect my daily life.

At this moment i havent done anything to the car except a LM, Lid, and the free mods. I plan on installing a vinci tuner, putting some LTs and maybe some pushrods/springs/1.8s.

Might i be okay for the next 2 or 3 years until im out of college? Its my DAILY drive and baby i put the miles on it.

Also, what do i torque the center bolts on that mac cover to? 12" pounds?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.10s + 10bolt = No No. I personally didnt experience it b.c my 10bolt blew up before I could have a chance to buy new gears anyhow, but both of my buddies threw some 4.10s in theirs and they blew up in a very short amount of time. Im sure there are some people on this board that have had 4.10s in theirs, but I have never seen them last long especially with an M6.

My car hasnt ever been taken to the track either. M6 here (conversion) so the tranny has been hooked up to the rear end for maybe around 20k miles. I blew it up about a month ago on the street.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, i had a 4.10 setup in my 96 M6 and it did fine. I did however go back to the 3.42s to sell the car due to a bad install of the 4.10s. I never had any problems with them, i had a solid pinion spacer and my Mac cover.