Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" questions/locker........

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 9" questions/locker........

I dont know if this is normal or not for a 9" with a detroit locker. I have a hose running up from the breather but it still leaks from the top of the hose. Is it normal to have alot of play on the drive shaft? And it also runs hot? Is this stuff normal? Would really appreciate your feedback.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its venting theres a really good chance its over filled... I cant remember the right amount I know someone here does...what would you concider hot? 180+?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, it shouldn't have fluid coming out of the top of the hose. I assume your hose is not just a few inches long. It should be similar to the stock hose which if I remember is more than a foot or so. Check fluid level by removing the fill plug on the side with the car sitting level. Just let fluid drain until it stops and reinstall the fill plug--done.

It will be warmer during the break-in period--normal. There is quite a bit of play in the drive shaft--normal.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

It takes a little less than three quarts to come up to the bottom of the filler hole.