Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about exhaust/emissions and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions about exhaust/emissions and mileage

hello, im new in to this ls1 addiction and im hooked bad. What i want to know i have asked and received thousands of different answers, my questions are 1. IF I DO HEADERS AND O2 SIMS AM I GONNA PASS EMISSIONS IN GEORGIA? DOES IT MAKE SES LIGHT COME ON EVEN WITH SIMS????? CAN YOU HIDE THE SIMS WELL ENOUGH FOR THE EMISSIONS PEOPLE TO NOT KNOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE AND THEY ARENT???????? WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS HEADER SWAP LEGAL DO I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE CATS?? OR IS THAT WHAT THE SIMS ARE FOR? ----QUESTION 2. IS 88,000 MILES ALOT OF MILES FOR AN LS1 MOTOR, I HEAR PEOPLE IN HERE SAYIN THEY HAVE 165,000 MILES AND ARE SPRAYIN 150 SHOTS OF NITROUS ON THIER EVERYDAY LS1'S (SOUNDS LIKE **** TO ME) ALSO PEOPLE RECORD 200,000 AND STILL DOG THE **** OUT OF THEM EVERYDAY. IM A LITTLE BIT MEAN TO MY CAR BUT IVE ONLY HAD IT A MONTH SO IM NOT OVER IT YET BUT I WANT IT TO LAST. ANY INPUT APPRECIATED THIS IS A SERIOUS NEWBIE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CNVRTmyZ
hello, im new in to this ls1 addiction and im hooked bad. What i want to know i have asked and received thousands of different answers, my questions are

1. IF I DO HEADERS AND O2 SIMS AM I GONNA PASS EMISSIONS IN GEORGIA?

DOES IT MAKE SES LIGHT COME ON EVEN WITH SIMS?

CAN YOU HIDE THE SIMS WELL ENOUGH FOR THE EMISSIONS PEOPLE TO NOT KNOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE AND THEY ARENT?

WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS HEADER SWAP LEGAL DO I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE CATS? OR IS THAT WHAT THE SIMS ARE FOR?

2. IS 88,000 MILES ALOT OF MILES FOR AN LS1 MOTOR, I HEAR PEOPLE IN HERE SAYIN THEY HAVE 165,000 MILES AND ARE SPRAYIN 150 SHOTS OF NITROUS ON THIER EVERYDAY LS1'S (SOUNDS LIKE **** TO ME)

ALSO PEOPLE RECORD 200,000 AND STILL DOG THE **** OUT OF THEM EVERYDAY. IM A LITTLE BIT MEAN TO MY CAR BUT IVE ONLY HAD IT A MONTH SO IM NOT OVER IT YET BUT I WANT IT TO LAST. ANY INPUT APPRECIATED THIS IS A SERIOUS NEWBIE ALERT!
Made the post a little easier to read, just a note using spaces and new lines will make the post easier to read and will get more replies and more answers.

Also don't use caps locks it represents shouting in forums and most people do not like it and some won't reply to poorly constructed threads or ones in all caps since it can take awhile to see the questions and such.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

As for your questions.....

You will have to check with your local laws about emissions, or post in the regional forum for the Georgia region they will be able to give you a good answer.

The SES light should not come on with the sims in place

The sims go in place of the O2 sensors so you have to put them there.

No matter what you do the header swap will not be legal, it is illegal to alter the placement of the catalytic converters.

High mileage ls1's are common and some hold up and last a very long time some don't. I think as long as regular maintenance is done they can last a very long time.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

how do o2 sims work do they actually screw in to the existing 02 sensor bunge.???? or do you just plug that hole, and plug the sims in to the 02 wires and hide them
Old 01-09-2006, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can just unplug your o2's to keep the hole plugged and hook up the o2 sims and zip tie them somewhere, you will also have to zip tie the left over wire from the o2s that are now unplugged
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow...thats weird. i had 02 sims on my stang and they just plugged in between the 02 sensor and the connection going to the ecu. headers wont be legal. you could get high flow cats and flow nearly as well if not as well as o/r exhaust. it is illegal to replace cats on a car with under 50k on the odo (unless there is a problem). you wont pass emissions without cats. end of story.

Quick Reply: questions about exhaust/emissions and mileage