Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Federal Mogul main/rod bearings = NOT impressed

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Federal Mogul main/rod bearings = NOT impressed

I just started a trial fit of main and rod bearings and all of my NEW Federal Mogul (Speed Pro) main and rod bearings are out of spec.

Checking was done with micrometer and dial bore gauge (accuracy of less than .0001")

Example: With my new rods, all the big end bores were round to within .0001".

Installed bearings and torqued rods and bearing clearances measured .002" up/down, .0032" 45 degrees, .0043" near parting line.

That's over .002" oval. All rod bearings were around the same, and main bearings were just as bad.

Just thought I would share that with anyone considering using these or buying an engine with these bearings.

I spoke to a very reputable builder who confirmed that these bearings were not very accurate as far as O.O.R.

SO I am dumping them and getting Clevites...

Anyone else have this type of problem?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All bearings are made that way, they run more clearance at the parting line. Check your clearance vertical, this is the measurement that matters.

Kurt
Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Kurt is exactly correct. What you are seeing is bearing eccentricity. Connecting rods are subjected to high inertia loads. The weight of the piston, rings, wrist pin,etc. are all pulling on the rod cap, especially at the end of the exhaust stroke. This tries to stretch the rod and pulls the big end out of round, which causes it to close in at the parting line. This is where the bearing eccentricity provides extra clearance to let the rod flex without having the bearings contacting the crankshaft.

Some applications require more or less bearing eccentricity. This is why when a motor is torn down, it is very important to study the wear pattern on the bearings. This will tell you if you had too much, too little, or just the correct bearing eccentricity.

Jason
Old 01-10-2006, 01:42 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

I've built 100's of small block and big block chevy's as well as chrysler hemis, sport compacts , etc. and NEVER seen 2 to 2 1/2 thousandths eccentricity on a main or rod bearing, unless the housing was out of round.

I accept up to 1 thousandth, period. In most cases it is less.

Even the stock OEM bearings that came out of the engine, were better than these, at no more than .0015" ECC in either the new or old rods.

I have normally used Clevite bearings, but decided to try the F/Moguls in this case.

BTW, to each his own, but NO one has ever blown up a bottom end that I built, and in the 70's and 80's, I built MANY and for both race and street applications.

I am astonished to hear that people build these things with 2 thou in the vertical and 4 1/2 at the parting line.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur

JMHO
Old 01-10-2006, 07:19 AM
7 Second Club

i'll just tell you that the guy above "427" has done more with GM platforms and motors than youll ever dream.... i'd take his and the W2W shops advice... hell they help build alot of GM's stuff

Originally Posted by rjw
I've built 100's of small block and big block chevy's as well as chrysler hemis, sport compacts , etc. and NEVER seen 2 to 2 1/2 thousandths eccentricity on a main or rod bearing, unless the housing was out of round.

I accept up to 1 thousandth, period. In most cases it is less.

Even the stock OEM bearings that came out of the engine, were better than these, at no more than .0015" ECC in either the new or old rods.

I have normally used Clevite bearings, but decided to try the F/Moguls in this case.

BTW, to each his own, but NO one has ever blown up a bottom end that I built, and in the 70's and 80's, I built MANY and for both race and street applications.

I am astonished to hear that people build these things with 2 thou in the vertical and 4 1/2 at the parting line.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur

JMHO
Old 01-10-2006, 08:39 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I am open minded and curious.

Checked another one today and it is eccentric by over .0025".

What application NEEDS over .0025" eccentricity by design?

And for an FI street application, would you use this?

Will Cevites be less eccentric?

Last edited by rjw; 01-10-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on which bearing type you have the eccentricity will vary. This may help
http://www.clevite.com/techbulletins/CL77-1-205R.pdf
Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

First, I apologise for bashing Fed/Mogul. I am sure than many use their products with good results.

I may just be too picky, but I am curious about how much eccentricity is too much
Old 01-10-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

rjw,
Start on page 57. This should give you what you want.
http://www.clevite.com/publications/6-101-02.pdf

Quick Reply: Federal Mogul main/rod bearings = NOT impressed