Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just took off stock muffler, open Y, wow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just took off stock muffler, open Y, wow!

My pacesetters and TSP duals should be here on the 12th, so today I went ahead and took everything off from the Y back. I figured I have a near open header experience, and more importantly save a ton of time when my new duals get here. It's still catted and I left the sensors alone.

It sounds great like this, and I definitly will enjoy the next day or two till it's dual time. I never knew what rasp sounded like but now I know, it's got alot when you let off the pedal.

But i'm sure i'll enjoy it even more with sweet thunders/header/duals under there.

Any ideas if the duals will be louder? There will be no cats of course, but I will have mufflers, which I don't now.

I hope it's not any louder, as it's as loud as I could ask for now. I don't need any more attention than this will get. (cops)
Old 01-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the Y off of mine awhile back and ran straight out of the cats... nice sound and MEAN when you hit it, but my head was numb from the resonance inside the car.

If you dump the exhaust, look for the tone to be a lot more refined since it's duals, but also expect headaches on long trips since it's dumped under the car. I'd suggest running it on out the back. That way others will hear you as much as you'll hear you.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i ran just the Y colector for awhile, it's very different form the cut-outs. it SCREAMS, pretty high pitched. fun though
Old 01-10-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i too ran the open y-pipe...but the realized that to quiet it down just a tad i basically put the cat back pipe on half way it muffles a bit and if i get pulled over i can show the cop that there is flow out the back...it still sounds mean as hell at WOT....and pretty mild any other time....