Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount write up?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mount write up?!?!?!

I know i've seen them before, i did a search and nothing came up.....anyone know where the thread for the poly motor mount write up is.......
Old 01-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Launching!

n-e one?? If not.....what all is involved......i know you have to remove/move stuff out of the way, just wanted an idea before i get under there to start.......i know i can figure it out on my own, i just wanted some input from folks who have already done this mod.....thanx
Old 01-13-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

best bet is to get under there and do it. you will see what needs to come out while you try to get to the stockers
Old 01-14-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

hows it comeing with the mounts? id like to know before i get started on mine what kind of tools will i need and what sizes. im planning on starting tomorow.

also, did your mounds come with bolts to bolt the clam shell back togeather? mine didnt (got the prothane mounts for 30$ for both b/c of this from the local suspension shop.) if i need them then what size do i need? ill probobly just run to lows and get them.

thanks!

ryan
Old 01-15-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bolton98TA
also, did your mounds come with bolts to bolt the clam shell back togeather? mine didnt (got the prothane mounts for 30$ for both b/c of this from the local suspension shop.) if i need them then what size do i need? ill probobly just run to lows and get them.
They are suppose to come with the bolts but you can get some at a hardware store. The instructions call for drilling a 3/8 hole on all four corners so try to find one that diameter and probably no longer than 1"(head size is up to you). Also wouldnt hurt to get the nuts with the plastic lock built in. Stainless steel will be your friend as well!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

alright, thanks man!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Also, when you do start, it's gonna be a serious b*tch to get to those bolts unless you remove your headers first... (my mechanic was using 2 swivvles and a 1' extention at one point at the end of a breaker bar) he barely got to a couple of them.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished doing mine. I can't imagine doing them if the headers were there. Like stated above, there is one large bolt holding the mount in the cradle and four smaller bolts holding the mount to the block. Once the mount is out, drill out the rivets with a 3/8" drill bit. It took some force to get the new poly mount to seat all the way in. I used a bench vice. Then, with the supplied bolts, close up the clam shell and torque to 30 ft/lbs. To reinstall, you will need a friend to get a pry bar and do some manhandling. Then just bolt everything back up.

Note: I spray painted the clamp after being in the vice.
You will need to remove the alternator on the drivers side.
You will need to remove the AC compressor on the passenger's side. (I didn't do the passenger's side.)
Old 01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Launching!

it is possible to do it with the headers in though right, because i can't really justify removing the headers and subsequently having to adjust my y-pipe as well as my CM tips, because it has been my experience with my car, anytime any exhaust component is moved.....i have to adjust everything else, especially the tips.....
Old 01-15-2006, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have all the right combinations of sockets, extensions, and swivle (sp) it MIGHT be possible. I wouldn't try it. I assume your y pipe bangs? If not, it's not worth it.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by you2slo
If you have all the right combinations of sockets, extensions, and swivle (sp) it MIGHT be possible. I wouldn't try it. I assume your y pipe bangs? If not, it's not worth it.
it IS possible... at one point using 2 swivles and an extention... race prep did em for me - i lacked the tools and wasn't gonna take apart my exhaust to do it
Old 01-16-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced mine with headers installed and didnt use swivels or any other special tool. I do have a BMR K member which makes a difference though. I didnt have any problems getting to the bolts..... it was just maneuvering the mounts to get them out once unbolted.

slpss9723, I will be in Abilene in a couple of weeks visiting family and could probably help you out if you want to wait that long to install them.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Launching!

hell man that's awesome!!!! If i don't get impatient between now and then.....or i may just have FMS install them i dunno i would like to ask them how much they would charge, but they're tough to get a hold of.....i'm going down there on the 24th and should be gone until that fri or sat......when exactly are you coming down?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Plan on heading that way the 31st or the 1st. Does Dyess have a deceint auto hobby shop? If so, we could knock it out there that way we have access to some special tools if need be.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Launching!

If i remember correctly from when my dad was in, they do, but i'd have to get a pass to get on........i'm no longer a military dependent brat.