Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI guys inside...belt problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATI guys inside...belt problems...

Alright, I just got this car(in my sig) back this week and it runs like a bat outta hell. It made 620rwhp/560rwtq on 10lbs(3.5" pulley) with alky control meth kit, patriot 6.0L heads, custom grind cam from cammotion, and the P1SC. The only problem is the belt keeps coming off. We've got it to line up correctly 2 different times and it keeps shreading the inner rib of the belt and sliding toward the outside(toward the front end of the car). The belt that is on there now has been on there since wed. but it is starting to shread and slide also. Dave, at C.A.M. told me that I needed a new blower bracket. He said it was slightly bent and more than likely it was causing the belt to do this. Before I spend $350 on a piece of metal, I want to make sure that this is what the problem is. I can get pics also to show you guys what it looks like. I also have a MMS crank pulley on there. I just wonder if I can somehow bend the bracket to take care of the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated...

thanks guys,
chris
Old 01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It could be bent but there is alittle trick we do.After we check alignment with a laser tool we pull the blower back at an angle with washers.This way when the belt tension is on it under load alignment is perfect.We've never thrown a belt after doing it this way.It also cut's down on belt slip too.

By your belt rolling over the side-that tells you the alignment is not right.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty tough to bend that bracket, it almost an inch thick. My guess is you have one of the wrong spacers on the bracket, the ones they list in the instructions for for auto and M6 cars sometimes dont work out. If the belt keeps walking in one direction most likely the blower is tilted one way or the other.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:20 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, if the bracket is the least bit bent, it will cause the belt to wear just like what you are experiencing. It is very hard to detect from pic's, problems such as you are experiencing. Bob
Old 01-13-2006, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

ok, thanks guys. I'm going to take it off tonight/tomorrow and straighten everything out. We used little washers to get the angle exactly right and it was aligned with the alignment tool(laser) so I think it maybe the bracket. I'll see if i cant figure it out though. thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

In case you do need another bracket, here's a nice machined steel one I saw in another post. Thinking about picking one of these up myself :

http://truetechperformance.com/page/...rformance.html

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)

Quick Reply: ATI guys inside...belt problems...