Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Drivetrain problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivetrain problems?

Ive owned a 2001 Z-28 since 2004, and as long as I can remember there has been a distinctive ticking noise coming either from the drive shaft or rear end. And it only makes the sound when I make turns. So its not constant, and it only makes the ticking noise when I turn corners, any suggestions. Also, just recently, when I'm in third gear just lugging around through town, at about 1-1500 RPMs and press the gas to allow the transmittion to shift into 2nd gear, there is a distinctive knocking noise(loud), that almost sounds like its coming from the rear end. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the transmittion because in higher gear 4-3rd downshift it doesnt make the sound. I hear time and time again that the 10 bolts are junk and to just put a twelve bolt in it. Does it sound like my rear end is going out, or my trasmittion might be having some troubles? Also, I have no knowledge of rear ends or transmittions, any suggestions would help me out alot.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driveshafts don't really make noise (unless you had a horribly failing u joint) so you can rule that out. A ticking or clicking when turning is probably going to be in the rear end, because the differential inside of it is allowing the wheels to turn at different speeds when rounding a corner, so that the outer wheel doesn't 'hop'. The transmission/driveshaft is functioning in the same manner whether you're going straight or turning, but like I said the rear end is going to act differently. Be sure the noise isn't coming from the front or something - sometimes it travels and makes it seem like it is coming from other areas.

It's probably about time to replace the carrier.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 273sunsetZ
Ive owned a 2001 Z-28 since 2004, and as long as I can remember there has been a distinctive ticking noise coming either from the drive shaft or rear end. And it only makes the sound when I make turns. So its not constant, and it only makes the ticking noise when I turn corners, any suggestions. Also, just recently, when I'm in third gear just lugging around through town, at about 1-1500 RPMs and press the gas to allow the transmittion to shift into 2nd gear, there is a distinctive knocking noise(loud), that almost sounds like its coming from the rear end. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the transmittion because in higher gear 4-3rd downshift it doesnt make the sound. I hear time and time again that the 10 bolts are junk and to just put a twelve bolt in it. Does it sound like my rear end is going out, or my trasmittion might be having some troubles? Also, I have no knowledge of rear ends or transmittions, any suggestions would help me out alot.
the clicking at slow speeds turning is COMPLETELY NORMAL...domn't jet anyone **** you up....mine does the same since new.When we pulled the rear apart the carrier was fine.The torsen carrier has alot of moving parts in it that make noise during slow turns and coasting.AS for the ASE mechanic that posted here i wouldn't pit SPIt into anything she says...its always the same bs...general bs cause she don't know sqauwt.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Well, that's good to hear. What do you think the clunking noise from third to second might be though?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, that's good to hear. What do you think the clunking noise from third to second might be though?

I have the same year model Z as you do and mine has NEVER clicked when turning... It is NOT normal and you should get it looked at before it becomes even more expensive to fix.

With the exception of a 'very slight' gear whine at @60 - 65, My stock rear is dead quiet.

Good luck and keep us posted on your problem.

James
Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99PontTA
the clicking at slow speeds turning is COMPLETELY NORMAL...domn't jet anyone **** you up....mine does the same since new.When we pulled the rear apart the carrier was fine.The torsen carrier has alot of moving parts in it that make noise during slow turns and coasting.AS for the ASE mechanic that posted here i wouldn't pit SPIt into anything she says...its always the same bs...general bs cause she don't know sqauwt.

That ASE mechanic sure does have you beat when it comes to 'basic SPELLING skills' though...
Old 01-20-2006, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

my rear clicks too, but i have a locker.... I was under the assumption that only lockers would click and clunk around corners
at about 1-1500 RPMs and press the gas to allow the transmittion to shift into 2nd gear, there is a distinctive knocking noise(loud), that almost sounds like its coming from the rear end
I have the same thing and i was told that it was the locker. if i go underneather with the car in park in the air I can turn the driveshaft about 1-2 inches before the tires move. Im guessing that is where it is coming from. Sure you dont have a locker because I have experienced all these symtoms AFTER I put the locker in. Just a thought. I may be retarded

Let me know what you find seeing i have the same issues.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
That ASE mechanic sure does have you beat when it comes to 'basic SPELLING skills' though...
He is just bitter because I banned him from LS1.com because he starts fights with people on there. I don't think he has a job or anything because he sure sends me a lot of PM's and follows me around on the forums.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

And so far 99pontTA is the only one who thinks that loud clicking is normal for a stock rear end.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I talked to my dad. He helps me work on my car, and tells me what is the solution to a certain problem. He says my rear end gear oil/fluid needs to be changed. That since it's a limited slip, it houses clutches, which work in sequence. And there whats making the noise. I'm not as concerned with the ticking noise, since hopefully I've solved the problem(I'll know next weekend for sure)as I am the clunking noise from 3rd to 2nd. It has just recently started doing it. I'm scared to ask my dad about it because I'll hear the same thing I've heard for the past year," Son, these transmittions and rearends can only take so much abuse from brakestands, which put alot of stress on your transmittion, and keep leaving in front of my house every time you leave...."! The pretty much I told You So speech from your father, that always seems to be the worst for me.. I have pacesetters waiting for me to come home from college and install. If I tell him there is a loud clunking noise. He'll try and convince me to send the headers back, and spend the 500 on my drivetrain. I'm simply trying to find a loophole, to figure out what the problem is, and some how fix it before my dad finds out about it! Like I said it only does it from 3rd-2nd at low RPM, could this be a major problem within the transmittion. Should I take it to the Chevy dealership up the road and ask for a mechanics opinion( even though everyone says to stay away from the dealers.) Any Suggestions PLEASE.....
Old 01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

my dad **** a brick when i spent 2-3000 on a th400 swap after I blew my tranny. but its my car tough ****. did he help you get the car or does he partially own it? if so then he kind of has a say in what money goes into it. just fess up because doing headers and adding more hp isnt exactly going to be apt to put less stress on your rear end. better to fix it now before it possibly becomes a bigger problem.

**** breaks on anything and if your dad is anything like mine he'll understand because my dad was worse than me when he was my age.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I talked to my dad. He helps me work on my car, and tells me what is the solution to a certain problem. He says my rear end gear oil/fluid needs to be changed. That since it's a limited slip, it houses clutches, which work in sequence. And there whats making the noise. I'm not as concerned with the ticking noise, since hopefully I've solved the problem(I'll know next weekend for sure)as I am the clunking noise from 3rd to 2nd. It has just recently started doing it. I'm scared to ask my dad about it because I'll hear the same thing I've heard for the past year," Son, these transmittions and rearends can only take so much abuse from brakestands.....

If your rear end is the 'stock' Zexel Torsen, then no, You do not have 'clutches' in it (you are maybe thinking Auburn Differential).

A fluid change is really easy though and would probably not hurt. The gasket and fluid will likely run you less than $30 and you could knock it out in a few hours if you take your time. There are not really a lot of tools required for this service... Let us know if you need help.

James
Old 01-21-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by keliente
He is just bitter because I banned him from LS1.com because he starts fights with people on there. I don't think he has a job or anything because he sure sends me a lot of PM's and follows me around on the forums.

Maybe if the 'SpellMaster' did have a job, He could afford a good ASE mechanic to fix his clicking...
Old 01-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
Maybe if the 'SpellMaster' did have a job, He could afford a good ASE mechanic to fix his clicking...
Old 01-21-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28convert
**** breaks on anything and if your dad is anything like mine he'll understand because my dad was worse than me when he was my age.
Very true. Sometimes my dad is like you shouldn't be drag racing and putting money into that car to go faster than it already is...then I'm just like yeah look who's talking!! My dad had his fair share of toys when he was younger...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

I made it back to school this weekend!

I figured out that it does't make the sound from 3-2nd, only when I'm in 3rd/drive. In third gear if I'm at very low RPM, after turning in a parking lot or something, I'll give it gas, and a lound noise is Definitley coming from the rear end, only at first when the gears make contact with each other, almost as if the sound is coming from the gears.. Now when its in 1st gear, and i pat the gas over and over at low RPM, the rear end makes another funny noise. It's weird, It almost sounds and feels like the rear end is twisting. Or the differential has a lot of slack in it before the gears start rotating. Very confused!! I put the car in park and pushed it back and forth, and it does have alittle slack in it, but my dad says its normal.

-"did he help you get the car or does he partially own it?" -z28convert

Nope, I saved up the money my freshman and soph. year in high school. I think he's only telling me that though because he knows from experience.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Torque arm and other rear end bushings...?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by keliente
Very true. Sometimes my dad is like you shouldn't be drag racing and putting money into that car to go faster than it already is...then I'm just like yeah look who's talking!! My dad had his fair share of toys when he was younger...
My dad says the same exact thing. He wants me to spend it on a dirt track car.