LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter issues

ok lets see

I just replaced my opti and then when i was bleeding my coolant system i noticed my cat was clogged.
this morning i jack up my car passenger side only. remove the cat back pipe (I pipe)??? and break up the first layer of catalyst start the car and blow it out.

get back under the car and break the second layer of catalyst. go to start it and cranks the engine over a few times i hear a metal on metal clunk ( i think it is the starter dis engaging and re-engaging).

now all that is happening is the engine will turn over once or twice and then the starter will dis-engage and keep spinning. or just stay dis-engaged and spin.

my questions are did i just somehow kill my starter? is the starter located in approximately the same position as on a 3.4 (passenger side and a pain in the *** to get to)?

should i pull the starter to see if its the problem. If the starter isnt the problem what else can it be.
thanks everyone
--
Old 01-18-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the starter is located in the same position, it's really not too bad to get to. But it will take a little bit of work. I would remove it, and see if there is anything wrong... I'm not sure what else it could be, but it sounds kinda like my problem, and my starter housing was cracked.