Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need help! turbo oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help! turbo oil problem

i have a 00 lsi with a (garrett) gt42 turbo. the turbo is low mount below the oil pan, so i have a scavange pump at same level as the outlet of oil return from turbo ( pump flows 1.0-2.0 gpm and 45 psi outlet) both feed to scavange pump and return to pan are -10 line. feed to the turbo is -6 .

the problem is i have oil in the turbo housing before the intercooler (the intercooler and inlet pipe to t/body are clean) it drips oil out of the band clamp and is making it's way back on to the tire and control arm.

is the return not big enough or is the feed line pushing to much pressure for the pump to handle? or is the turbo seals leaking?

any info would be great! thxs jeff
Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Joel@

Your oil feed line is pretty big. You might want to change the size of that. We run -3 on all out turbo kits. with a 5/8 return. Sounds like your over flowing the turbo rings and its flowing into the housings. Make sure your oil feed is as straight up as you canget it, to limit over flowing the rings. They usually put the gap of the rings at the top where the inlet is. Hope this helps
Old 01-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Banned

sorry! my bad it's a -4 feed to the turbo

does the turbo have ceramic bearings? someone mentioned about a "restrictor" for the oil feed but only if the berings were ceramic!

what do you think about dropping to a -3 feed line and stepping up the return lines to -12? will this still be enough to feed the bearings without damaging them?

thxs jeff
Old 01-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

yes i have the feed line straight up!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Joel@

What turbo kit do you have? The -4 should be fine...you might want to up that return though. Who's the pump made by?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned

it's not a kit! it was all hand built

i didn't like kits out there for the f-bodys, they put the turbo straight in front hanging off the headers (to many storys of cracking hearders). so i mounted mine under the drivers frame rail solid and put flex exhaust at the crossover pipe to the hearders.

it's a "racer parts warehouse" pump, don't know the exact manufacture it was recomended to me? it's an oil control/ differential pump by design.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problems w/ the same turbo, I too run a pump... try the smaller lines and a restrictor on the feed side. that worked for me