Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt for 88 c-1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt for 88 c-1500

Well tonite started to replace axle seal on a 88 chevy c-1500 with an open diff.Everything was good until the center pin bolt broke completely.Only the head and about 5-6 threads came out.Center pin is locked in.Can anybody tell me how to get the rest of the bolt out?I tried to coax it out with a small screwdriver and magnet.I have been told to drill it but I don't want to hurt the center pin or the threads that are still good in the carrier.Think that I can force the center pin out?Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zombie1
Well tonite started to replace axle seal on a 88 chevy c-1500 with an open diff.Everything was good until the center pin bolt broke completely.Only the head and about 5-6 threads came out.Center pin is locked in.Can anybody tell me how to get the rest of the bolt out?I tried to coax it out with a small screwdriver and magnet.I have been told to drill it but I don't want to hurt the center pin or the threads that are still good in the carrier.Think that I can force the center pin out?Any help would be appreciated.

I have delt with this many times, I have a small pick set that sometimes I can get it out without much fuss. If that doesn't work your going to have to die grind the pin to let it slide by the bolt, small price to pay unless you get mad and just drive the pin out with a big hammer and a punch.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might try grinding a slot in the broken piece with a Dremel so you can use a screwdriver on it. Also could try that on the other end.

I'm sure if you take the carrier out of the housing it will be easier to work on also.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TRex
You might try grinding a slot in the broken piece with a Dremel so you can use a screwdriver on it. Also could try that on the other end.

I'm sure if you take the carrier out of the housing it will be easier to work on also.
If he can not get the pin out, how is he going to get the c-clips and axles removed to get the carrier out?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good point !

Last edited by TRex; 01-21-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I already put the pin back in,we are going to have to drill it.Already found a used rear end with better gears anyway.thanks for the replies.