Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cant get wheels to balance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cant get wheels to balance

Seems as though Discount cant get my wheels to a perfect balance. There is always shaking in the steering wheel even slightly. Wheels are 17 X 10 Boyd Smoothie II's. and the tires are Kumho 712's 275/40.17. The kumho's are getting pretty bald and will be replaced here before to long, however I can not get them to balance where its a decently comfortable ride while the kumho's are still on the car.

1. Are the wheels bent? and thats why i cant get a perfect balance? How would i know if they are bent?

2. Are the tires just shitty and most likely the balance problem will go away with some new tires?

Old 01-25-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most likely it's the tires. I've noticed when they get close to being bald, the ride quality deteriorates a lot. The tire materials break down after all of those miles. I'd suggest new tires. You can't make any judgements on the wheels with bald tires on them.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you were able to get them perfectly balanced when the tires were new, then I would say its the tires.

One of my Boyd rims came warped, but Boyd wouldn't replace it...they said it was within .003" of being true. On the dyno it wobbles about 1/4" out of true...checked the axle and it isn't bent at all. I haven't been pleased with the Boyds...not enough wheel for the $$.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i remember the wheels/tires being balanced pretty well when the tires were relatively new. so i guess i will wait for the new tires to make a determination.

Im going to ask discount to spin the wheels first and see how that turns out, then add the tires and see what happens. hopefully i can get something comfortable.