Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - QTP's hit the steering linkage!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - QTP's hit the steering linkage!

Putting back the steering linkage after installing QTP race LT's I ran into a problem, the steering linkage won't go back on because it hits one of the down tubes.
Anyone have this problem And does anyone have a solution
Thanks in advance for any help!
2002 LS2 Trans Am
Old 02-01-2006, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

I never removed the steering linkage so I cant help you there, but after I did my install and took it for a spin I noticed that when I crank it all the way to the left and begin to turn I can hear something tapping like something is rubbing up against the headers. I havent found any sign of rubbing yet. But this is only when I turn to the left, to the right its fine. I'm pretty sure that doesnt help you but I thought I'd let you know. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Are you sure the couplers on both ends are sliding on all the way? I' m not implying you don' t know what you are doing, but, sometimes I forget the little stuff like that. I never had problems with my QTPs hitting the steering linkage, and didn' t have to pull it out. Have you bolted them down? If not, maybe you can make room with them and make sure the shaft is on all the way. If you can' t get 'er done by the weekend, PM me, and maybe I might be able to swing by, and get a look with you. I live in Sacramento, and you aren' t too far. Feel free to PM me, if you like.

Good luck
Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry, didnt take my linkage off
Old 02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loosen up the header bolts and push the header out of the linkages way. The header bolt holes on the flange are larger than the bolts. If you didnt line up the header before you torqued the header might rub up against it. Its an easy fix. Call us if you need any more help.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Barry, do you have those headers in stock at your shop? I would like to just down there any pick up a set.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help and the suggestions. Looks like I will have to redo my steering linkage, go to a solid shaft and turn it down to get it to fit.