General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idler Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idler Pulley?

Guys, my engine sounds like it's squeaking... any ideas? I just recently changed the upper belt with a NAPA one.

If it is the pulley, how do I take it off, where do I get another? Any ideas?

Also, there is a squeak under my car sometimes maybe 30% of the time when I turn sharp left... any ideas on that one?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

installuniversity.com has a write up on idler pulley install, and to check if it is the idler pulley get some WD40 and spray the pulley to see if the squeeking goes away. thats how i found it was the idler pulley and now that i replaced it no more squeek even on cold start ups after it rained.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Take the belt back off. Spin each idler or tensioner pulley by hand. If it is rough or makes any noise the bearing is bad. If the bearing is in a metal pulley many can be pressed out and a new bearing pressed in. Some use snap rings to hold them in and some do not.You can usually push old bearings out and new ones back in, in a medium to large vice. Support the pulley correctly so you do not damage it. Often you can use 2 different size sockets if you do not have round spacers. The bearing should have a number molded into the rubber seal like 6204 etc. so you know what bearing to buy. If it is a plastic pulley the bearing is moulded in and you will have to replace the pulley.

Also spin the alternator, ac compressor etc. & feel for roughness and listen for noise.

You should be able to get replacement bearings and pulleys at any good auto store. There are a few out there that are dealer items but not many.

Belt tensioners wear out and sometimes need to be replaced because they won't keep the belt tight and the belt will squeal.

Take the bolt out of the center of the bearing and it should come off. Be careful as a few of these bolts are left hand thread. So if it won't come off with reasonable force try turning it the other way. Make sure you put all spacers and washers back where they came from and mark the front side of the pulley. Some can go back on either way and some cannot.

If it is smooth & quiet on most bearings you can carefully remove the seal and put some grease in the bearing to make it last much longer. The removable seals are a rubber type material that looks like a rubber washer that goes from the inside bore to the outside of the race. The rubber type material covers a VERY thin brass washer. If you take a TINY screwdriver (like the kind you use for eye glasses) you can carefully ease the seal out of the groove it fits in around the outside. ( I often use 2 TINY screwdrivers to make it easier because when you pry the seal up it will try to slip back down in the little groove it sits in.) Once it is started out just lift it out carefully. Do not bend it or it will not seal right. Clean all dirt etc. off first so you don't get any dirt in the bearing.

After greasing carefully put the seal in at an angle. Starting the seal in the outside groove. Simply ease it back in place by pushing it around in a circle to force it back into the little groove with your finger. Don't bend it. It will many times easily slip right back into the grove it came out of. Some take some careful coaxing to get the seal completly back in the grove. Only grease 1 side, do not over grease.

I do this as maintainence on any bearing with this type of seal and I always remove the seal on new bearings to see if it has adequate grease. I have found new bearings with little or no grease in them from the factory.

Bearings that have a steel crimped outer edge of the seal can't be done this way. After you have done a few it is easy to do.

You can do this to a noisy or rough bearing as a temporary fix, but you do need to replace the bearing soon.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
installuniversity.com has a write up on idler pulley install, and to check if it is the idler pulley get some WD40 and spray the pulley to see if the squeeking goes away. thats how i found it was the idler pulley and now that i replaced it no more squeek even on cold start ups after it rained.
WD40 might not get past the seal if the seal is in good shape. And don't get WD40 on the belt.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

i love this site
Old 02-01-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Abidar
Guys, my engine sounds like it's squeaking... any ideas? I just recently changed the upper belt with a NAPA one.

If it is the pulley, how do I take it off, where do I get another? Any ideas?

Also, there is a squeak under my car sometimes maybe 30% of the time when I turn sharp left... any ideas on that one?

Thanks in advance
Replace the pulleys and the belts and be done with it. They are high maintenance parts.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Replace the pulleys and the belts and be done with it. They are high maintenance parts.
To each his own. Spend your money as you please. I would prefer to use a small amount of grease instead of spending $$$ for new pulleys. I have done this to hundreds of bearings over many years and no known failures yet on any of my or my customers/friends vehicles. He already replaced the belt.

Without proper diagnosis he does not know what the problem is. He could replace all perfectly good idler pulleys with new ones and still have the noise due to an alternator or other bearing.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine does the same thing, and its the idler, i will try spraying it first,
then work my way up

Quick Reply: Idler Pulley?