Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP & Sweet Thunder review

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP & Sweet Thunder review

Well I just finfshed my TSP X Pipe System with Sweet Thunder Mufflers. To give you a little background info, I have A 02 Z28 with 37,5xx miles. Its a 3.23 A4 with The SLP intake kit. Pacesetter LT's. That is it for mods. While i was waiting for my x pipe from tsp I was running with an open 3 inch ORY for about 3 weeks. The sound was awful it sounded nice at WOT but that was it. The X pipe took me about 5 hours to install. yes this is a long time but I sanded the whole system inside and out , there were lots of burs on the inside of the pipe from the cuts and prevented the pipe from freely sliding inside the other pipes,and painted the outside with 1200 degree aluminum engine paint from dupont ( I hate rust, hopefully this wil help). Im not an exhaust expert but the welds and bends seemed ok. Maybe they could have been a little nicer, but agian im no expert. The system was a little bit of a pain as it came with no instructions. But none the less It doesnt take a college degree to figure it all out. I am happy with the way it fits although I do believe Im going to tweek it a little more another day. My clearence is good and seems to be no worse than some of the other pics ive seen on this website. At first start up the car was cold so after it warmed up The rumble came out of the pipes was very deep. I though my LMII was deep with long tubes. but there is no comparison between the two. The idle is just the way I want it, loud and deep but since Im so used to the open y pipe it wasnt loud to me. Under normal acceleration the Sweet thunders come alive giving an almost flowmaster like characteristic. Inder 50-75 throttle is when the exhaust starts to pick up and for me at 2800 rpm is when i think it sounds the deepest. The more you press the go pedel the louder and meaner and nastier it gets. I am very happy with the way it sounds. it is what i wanted and so much more. for around 400 bucks there is no way you could turn down this exhaust. Ive heard a lot of people say how the sweet thunder will kill hp, but if it hurt anything i cant tell. the tires still rip off easy, the rpms still climb just as fast and everything feels the same to the butt meter. if there is a loss i didnt notice it at all. now for the bad news. i dont have a digital camere or video camera so no pics yet of sound clips, as soon as i get some ill post them.
Like I said before im happy with this syetem and is def my favorite that ive had on. maybe in the future Ill experiment with a different muffler, but i know ill def be extending this some day out the back as well.
TSP was a great company to deal with and they get 4 thumbs way up from me. Thanks again TSP

Joe
Old 02-09-2006, 12:25 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job on the prep work! I cut my x-pipe in half on my TSP system, grinded it down, and re-welded it. There was about a 1/2" overlapping section inside mine, it looked like hell.

If you play with it and tweak it, and play with it some more, and beat some stuff with a hammer, you can get it riding NICE.

Patience daniel-son....
Old 02-09-2006, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paragraphs are beautiful tools to use when getting people to read your thread.

From what I read - seems like you like the TDs. Congrats.