General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Synthetic oil question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil question?

Ok when I bought my car the owner told me that he had put in synthetic oil told me which kind and every thing and even gave me 1 qt. of it. Now it is Q Advanced Engine Full synthetic 10w-30. Now the problem I am running into is that when I start my car if I do not let it warm up for at lest 5 mins if I take off and the motor goes above 1500 RPM I get a valve train tick noise. Now I don't hear this happening when the motor turns over to start or at any other time. So is this normal I have never run synthetic oil in a car b4 so I have no clue as to whats going on with it. Also once the car does warm up there seams to be a lot of valve train noise usaly no ticks or any thing I can just hear every thing moving. Now this could be that I'm not just used to my LT1 yet. I was told by a freind that there will be some valve train noise on this car seeing as it is a 350 v8. Also the miles on the motor are 110,000 and I do live in michigan so temp. goes all over the place so is this a good oil to run or should I change. Thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94greenFormula
Ok when I bought my car the owner told me that he had put in synthetic oil told me which kind and every thing and even gave me 1 qt. of it. Now it is Q Advanced Engine Full synthetic 10w-30. Now the problem I am running into is that when I start my car if I do not let it warm up for at lest 5 mins if I take off and the motor goes above 1500 RPM I get a valve train tick noise. Now I don't hear this happening when the motor turns over to start or at any other time. So is this normal I have never run synthetic oil in a car b4 so I have no clue as to whats going on with it. Also once the car does warm up there seams to be a lot of valve train noise usaly no ticks or any thing I can just hear every thing moving. Now this could be that I'm not just used to my LT1 yet. I was told by a freind that there will be some valve train noise on this car seeing as it is a 350 v8. Also the miles on the motor are 110,000 and I do live in michigan so temp. goes all over the place so is this a good oil to run or should I change. Thanks

IMHO, It is a very good sign that your car's previous owner had been using synthetic oil. Synthetic oil generally costs a little more than the dino oil, and if the guy was willing to spend the extra $$$ it probably means that he cared about his car and was wanting it to last for a while...

Good luck with your ride!

James
Old 02-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

Michigan gets cold,,,,, you should run a 5W-XX synthetic ... you need an oil that flows well in low temps