LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

manifold glowing red

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manifold glowing red

well when you fix one problem you always run into another...i noticed after i let the car warm up good, the passenger side manifold is glowing red just barely enough to see under the heat shield. the car runs fine but the SES light is on and it runs at 210 (keep in mind that i have a 160 thermostat and had it tuned for that temp.) i bled the air out at the thermostat but i may need to try again to be sure.

I'm still breaking in the motor, just kinda letting it run in the driveway because i can't drive it. the front seal/torque converter is loosing fluid.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by punkisntdead
well when you fix one problem you always run into another...i noticed after i let the car warm up good, the passenger side manifold is glowing red just barely enough to see under the heat shield. the car runs fine but the SES light is on and it runs at 210 (keep in mind that i have a 160 thermostat and had it tuned for that temp.) i bled the air out at the thermostat but i may need to try again to be sure.

I'm still breaking in the motor, just kinda letting it run in the driveway because i can't drive it. the front seal/torque converter is loosing fluid.
What is your fuel pressure at?
Old 02-11-2006, 03:57 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by punkisntdead

If you are running it at 2000 or so, just sitting still, it is not unusual to see the manifolds glow. Air flowing through the engine compartment driving down the street helps cool things. No air flow in the driveway. It would be better to break the engine in by driving it anyway. Sure be easier on the exhaust manifolds.

Good luck, Ed
Old 02-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure about the fuel pressure i'd have to check it, but it runs fine. it's just that ses light concerns me a little but i'm gonna get some codes run.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

dood you need to drive it and vary the RPMS to break it in. and with no air moving through the radiator... anything more than idle for any period of time is going to make the car run hot as hell.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard that manifolds glowing could be caused by the cat being clogged, but you would notice a huge loss in performance and everything would be glowing very bright red. If would get it scanned, and check the fuel pressure via. scrader valve at the back of in the intake.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Could the timing be retarded causing it to burn raw fuel in the manifolds? Running too lean or too rich will do that too.

:EDIT: just read your post over..yeah you need to drive it while varying the rpms otherwise your rings won't seat correctly. Your rings will never seat while idling with no load.

Quick Reply: manifold glowing red