Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

hear my situation

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hear my situation

i want to see what everyone here thinks about this situation. so im looking into buying a H/C setup somewhere in the next few months, but i want to get all the supporting bolt-ons first (LT's, intake etc..). now, i figure the next step in my modding process is a TC. ive heard lots of opinions and stories and ive decided on getting one with a low str (as i dont plan on taking it to the track all that often). i live in boston and the weather can get sorta cold up here with occasional blizzards. i daily drive my car on street tires, but in order to prevent my car from just sitting htere and spinning, i need to hook and get drag radials. now to the real question and y im posting this in the tire section. who here drives drag radials in the cold/snow/rain/daily? i did a bunch of burnouts when i bought the car, stripped the tires bare and recently bought a new set of back tires (still have the paint on them). i dont want to shell out another 4 or 5 hundred for new tires, but if i dont, then a TC will be almost useless from a stand. if i absolutly have to, then ill buy radials, but will htey be good in the snow or when its cold? (as far as daily driving, i dont plan on racing in a storm)
Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're joking, right?? There's no way a drag radial should even be considered for use in the snow. Not even a dusting. Find yourself a good pair of all season radials for the back and then accept the fact that with a stall and the rest of the mods you listed, and even under ideal driving conditions with very prudent driving, you're still going to have a hell of a time getting around with any significant amount of snow on the ground. You'll still be OK in just the wet stuff.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought so! then how do other people do it?? all of you daily drivers out there with 400+ hp and stalls, how do you manage? i mean, of course i could move to florida where its sunny and 80 degrees 365 days a year, but that might not be so easy.. how do all you northerners cope?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Lots of them garage their cars for the winter.

-Mike
Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car is driven 365 days a year and I had no problems until I put the stall in. It was then that I lost the ability to take off from a dead stop in any significant amount of snow. I was running Pirelli P Zero Nero M/S too, which were rated the #1 tire in it's class. I made it all the way home from work in a 3 or 4 inch snow, then proceeded to get stuck twice in my subdivision (they hadn't plowed it at all and I had to stop because of neighbors in the way) and I was driving very cautiously because of all the "F-Body in the snow" horror stories that I had heard. I did fine last year with the stock converter. I wouldn't even attemt to drive on drag radials in a good rain much less in the snow. (But, if you're feeling adventurous, try it out and let us know how it works)