General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise when turning...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when turning...

ok everyone...i recently noticed the other day when i took my t/a out that i can hear a noise when i turn the wheel slightly to the left and to the right...the noise only lasts for a split second but i'm not sure what it is...anyone else ever had this same thing happen? also the car only has 28K on the clock...thanks again
Old 02-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I've got the same thing, if you're talking about a 'clicking' or 'ticking' sound coming from the rear. I found out there are several threads on it, none of which are conclusive.
'99 z28 with 56k miles
Old 02-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Launching!

same problem here, only seem to hear it when it's cold outside, it seems to be coming from the front but could be the back
98 formula w/ 106k miles
Old 02-13-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Hey i have the same problem but mine is only on sharper turns turning left but comes from the rear. Here is what i found out the problem most likely is.

Squeak from rear on sharp turns: If it makes the scraping/screeching sound on hard turns, this is your most likely problem. It's just a matter of shimming your caliper out, that’s all, and would take about 30 minutes to repair. The sound you're hearing would be the caliper itself hitting the rotor on the turns. One quick test for you to do is to go into a parking lot and go into the hard turn, once you hear the scrape, apply your brakes. If the sound stops, then its even more likely your caliper's hitting. What your doing is pulling the pads inward thus your calipers won't hit.

This is a fairly common problem with our cars since the specs are so small of a range...measurements are 68.625-69.79mm (2.70"-2.74") from the inside caliper mounting bracket to the outside face of where the stud bolts mount to. The shim btw is part # 26034667 If your rotor is out of spec on run out then your problem can be worse.

Or here is other dianostics for other problems

http://www.go-fast.org/z28/diagnostics.html
Old 02-14-2006, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

My SS does the same thing, its like a ticking noise comming from the rear, only seems to be on a decent left hand turn tho and only when car is in motion( I.E. not turning left from a stop, but hitting a turn while car is moving..) definatly annoying.

Justin
Old 02-16-2006, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

well...when i hear the noise it's like it happens for a split second when i turn the wheel to either the left or right...and the noise can be heard while i'm stopped if i turn the wheel...it's annoying but i'm just wondering if there's anything that's really wrong or if it's just a creak or whatnot...
Old 02-18-2006, 07:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was a whine I would say check your resevoir. On a sidenote, I never had this problem until I ground down my calipers to fit some prostar 15X10's on the other day to go to the track. Now mine does it as well.