Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

which tires should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which tires should I get?

I need new tires and these two I think are my best choices.

I want a tire that is good for a DD, and gets about 10,000-15,000 miles, but can handle gripping straightline launches on the street, fast cornering, some SCCA timed circuit races and some trips to the drag strip.

I was thinking about getting DR, but weaker sidewallsl will not work well for cornering. Both of these tires have the same rubber grip and footprint pattern as a DR, but a stronger sidewall, so you have less wrinkle resulting in less grip at launch, but you still have better grip then a typical street radial.

What worries me about these tires, is that both of them seem derived from the import world, even though i see many vettes, GTO and porches running these tires in circuit and drift. Even though the tires might come from more of the import realm I would imagine they should be able to support 400+ hp if they are running on racing vettes, goats and porches?

The falken have a tread rating of 200, so I should be able to see about 20,000 miles out of them. Plus the tread depth is 8/32 and they are SCCA approved.

The Nittos are the exact as their DR but have a stiffer sidewall with a tread rating of 100 which might be good for 12,000 miles and 6/32 tread depth.

Both tires are about $155.00 each.

What do you guys think. Should these tires help a f-body stick during launches and corning?

Falken Azenis RT-615 on left, nittos 555RII on right!