Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fundamental question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fundamental question...

Alright so I was under the impression that there was a master cylinder for the brakes of course, and a slave cylinder operated on the same principle for the clutch to engage/disengage.

I'm not quite sure but from some posts is there a master and slave cylinder specifically for the clutch, or are people referring to replacing the above mentioned master cylinder as well as the slave?

Thanks in advance.

Also - what does it sound like when your synchronizers are going bad, I sometimes hear a chirping noise when my synchronizers are near the end of engagement... Also having the slave cylinder leakage problem I beleive, soon to be checked out.

Thanks again.

PS - also noticed today I can take the car out of gear while it's in any gear while I have the gas pressed. I'm pretty sure it was locked in if the gas was engaged before, and was hard to take out of gear without the clutch pedal depressed even without gas to it.

Last edited by formula99SD; 02-16-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

The master cylinder is the clutch master cylinder, not the same as the brake master cylinder. I believe I can take my car out of gear without the clutch too but cannot put it back in without using the clutch.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

So where is a clutch master cylinder located so I could check the fluid level, it could just be low...

Also to clarify I always could take it out without the clutch if I let off the gas, but not with the gas pressed.

And what brand of master/slave cylinder is good to replace it with?

Edit just checked fluid and its full...

Last edited by formula99SD; 02-16-2006 at 07:56 PM.