General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help with airbag deployment on 91 dodge spirit (slightly offtopic)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help with airbag deployment on 91 dodge spirit (slightly offtopic)

I know that this is really off topic, as it has nothing to do with our LSx cars, but I really need some help on this. I have a 91 Dodge Spirit, which is a total POS but it is my beater car and I need her to pass an inspection that is coming up very soon. I got into a minor fender bender today (rear ended someone who jammed on his brakes), and the air bag deployed. Everyone was allright as it was only about 15-20 miles and hour, but the airbag deployed and there is only a little exterior damage. Well the hood is currently stuck shut, the grille is completely gone, and one headlight fell out but didnt brake...but I will fix that stuff in the morning. It kinda suprised me because I didnt think it would work as the car is a clunker...but she runs like a champ...haha.

Either way, the car is my second vehicle...mainly used for commuting and getting around in the snow, and keeping miles off the Z. I need to find a way to disable the Airbag light that is now on in the dash. I dont know if there is a simple fuse to remove, but I know most cars will turn the light on if the SRS fuse is blown or removed. Could there be a wire that I can cut, or something to that effect? I really need to get this fixed soon, because I need to get the car inspected soon, and the light will set of the inspector and cause me to fail. I have found a way to put the steering wheel back together (superglue sneeky sneeky) so the fact that the airbag is no longer in there shouldnt be a problem. I guess the last resort would be to try to open the dash and jam a screw driver into the light to kill it...but that is extreme.

I know this is a pretty odd question, but I really need some assitance on this. If anyone has any input, or can help me find something that could help I would really appreciate it. I have googled the heck out of it, but can come up with anything. I have also posted the question on allpar.com, but figured I would ask those who have helped so much in the past on the 'camaro.

Thanks in advance guys.
Fry
Old 02-17-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the easiest way would be to just remove the bulb, but if you can find the resistance of the airbag module you could get a resistor of that value and put it in instead
FWIW I'd take the bulb out
Old 02-17-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is going to be such a low resistance value that there is not a standard resistor that you can just buy and plug it in.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, much appreciated...I will just pull the dash and take out the bulb.

Thanks
Fry

Quick Reply: help with airbag deployment on 91 dodge spirit (slightly offtopic)