Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sealing up headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sealing up headers

ok tonight i've just realized i was ignorant and used the paper gaskets for my header install, also was told that if there is a bad leak and air gets in on decel. it backfires alot and pops loud, which mine does. so thing is i'm worried i have a leak and was wondering what you guys use to seal it up. hopefully another option besides taking the headers off and putting on new gaskets.....
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries! You can unbolt the headers, take the bolts out, pry the header back, slip the gasket out, slip the NEW OEM GASKETS in place, then re-bolt those bad boys. You can use one of the bolts to line up the gasket.

I thought my drivers side was leaking one day, so i did this. Used my 1/4" drive air ratchet, zipped the bolts out and had it replaced in about 20 minutes. Passenger side may take a little longer, but

BTW - If you have an exhaust leak that bad, you WILL know it.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice, i might do this anyway just as some insurance, i always feel like the car doesn't run to it's full potential but that's probably just in my head.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:09 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would be amazed at what's "in your head". After a few weeks of driving after the cam was installed, i felt like the car had dropped 2 cylinders. It felt like a turd, my gf kept telling me it was in my head, but i was convinced it was slower.

Then I took it to the track and almost went 120 in the 1/4