General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crankshaft Poisiton and Camshaft Position Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crankshaft Poisiton and Camshaft Position Sensors

Car was running like ****, missing extremely bad and sometimes dying on me. It threw a code and looks like my crankshaft and camshaft position sensors are dead. Not sure if one is causing the other to mess up but I am planning on swapping them both out.

Does anyone have any info on swapping these parts out?

Also would there be something physically wrong with the motor, a bad part say, that would cause these sensors to go out? I really don't want to swap them out only to have them be destroyed again by something wrong in the motor.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get a code for each of the sensors?? The cam sensor is behind the intake mainifold. You will have to remove the intake to get at it. Its a black plastic sensor that sticks up right behind the gally cover on the block. Watch when pulling the intake, the vac hose from the brake booster goes in to the back of the intake and when you slide it forard you can snap that sensor off in the block. Check out ls1 how to for more on removing the intake mainifold if you need. The crank sensor is in between the starter and the block. You will have to remove the stater to get that sensor out.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Crank sensor is not too bad to change, mine went bad about 5,000 miles ago and I changed it at home, didnt take too long. Will run you around $150 for the crank sensor, I haven't had any problems with the camshaft one so cant help ya there.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have to change my crank sensor, its throwing a code. The car is sort of missing sometimes, and smells like burnt fuel all the time.