Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Keep rims,widen them, or get new ones..that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep rims,widen them, or get new ones..that is the question

Ok quick overview i have the stock ws6 17"x9" rims(wheels to you nit picks ) and the nitto's are shot. Was looking at my options for better rubber out back(better traction) and find that i have a few options. 1.Keep my stockers and have them widened to 11" so i can get 315's out back(cost about 200.00 per wheel to widen) or 2. Go with a smaller rim 16" which allows me a taller tire and a 315's provided i get a 16"x11" wheel. I can kill a few birds with option 2 (cheaper tires,better tire sizes, taller tire,lighter tire/wheel combo reduces unsprung weight)

Most of this is due to me wanting good traction and a lighter car but money can be a problem as i would have to buy 4 new rims (of course i will sell the old ones to get some money back for the new ones) Of course widening a rim will cost money too.. I like the ws6 rims so that doesnt help the situation in me deciding on what to do..
Old 02-21-2006, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

I have had the same 2 thoughts, except I would only replace the rear with a 16" WS6 looking wheel. The problem is I would still have to widen those. Also, I don't think I found as many tire options.

So, I am going to go with option 1 someday and widen 2 of my stock WS6 wheels. I think it will be cheaper and easier.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Who would I go to to get a rim widened out of curiosity?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.weldcraftwheels.com is the place i see many go to/ship to.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

I went thru the same delimma a month ago. I decided that it would be $455 incl shipping to get wheels widened. The TTII 9.5/11 combo from Tomz was $894 shipped, then sell WS6 wheels ~$400. I have $500 in 4 new wheels or could have had $455 in 2 used wheels. No brainer for me - I went with the TTIIs. They are going on today BTW. Can't wait! Good luck with you choice.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had the same thoughts here. Love my style wheels and I even have an extra set off another car that I haven't sold yet just for this reason.

There really aren't that many people that are running widened factory rims as compared to the other 17x11 options. You would also have to spring for two spacers.

Obviously the most economic thing to do is get a new set of wheels and sell the old ones as a set. But if you decided to go with something besides TT2's... like iforged, CCW, or custom sized TT2's.... well then you may end up spending more in the long run.

So my suggestion is let it sit with you a while. Try to dig up some pics of widened WS6 wheels in your style and you'll probably start to lean one way or the other.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

I didn't know you could widen wheels. Learn something new everyday.