Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch is acting up- whats the diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch is acting up- whats the diagnosis?

After putting the new LS7 clutch in my 98 corvette, the clutch drives fine under normal cirumstances, but when I start to get on power it starts to stick to the floor (ok, I probably just need to bleed it, right?). but when I get on full power (to redline) and try to shift, the clutch wont go in AT ALL, its like pushing on a brick wall- once the revs come back down, I can push it in normally.

What could the problem possibly be? The car makes 460rwhp if that helps any.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

have you upgraded your slave? If not, I'd say thats a good starting point. How many miles have you put on it so far?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with my Spec Stage 3 clutch (their 1st gen design). This happened after the clutch was in the car for quite a few miles. It turned out to be a bad design or weak springs on the pressure plate. With weak springs on the pressure plate, they tend to pull inward do to centripetal force. This would cause what you are describing at higher RPMs, but still work at lower RPMs. I replaced the slave unit and master cylinder ('01 design), but it didn' fix the problem. I had to replace the Spec clutch and pressure plate with their 2nd gen design. I hope the LS7 clutch does not have these flaws.