Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about muffler/exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about muffler/exhaust note

Sorry if this has already been posted, but what kind of sound would I get out of a 98 trans am if I just replaced the muffler with the Loud Mouth II Bullet Type muffler (if that is even possible) and not the whole exhaust set up. I dont want it to sound "ricey" at all which is probably impossible from a v8, but does it sound like crap compared to cat-back? I'm getting the car this friday, and it's bone stock. Since a full exhaust system won't give it a very noticeable gain, and i'm looking for a more agressive sound, will just mufflers do the trick or should I hold out for the full thing. thanks for your help..btw i'm psyched as HELL about gettin this car
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
01z
TECH Regular

i think it is impossible to sound ricey cuz i ran open headers for a few days and it sounded bad *** but got old quick. on my old ta i just did a flowmaster muffler swap and i dont think i gained any hp or anything but it sounded better.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

How about a cutout? You'll get a better gain than any catback and it sounds pretty good too. Plus, it's cheap.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:48 PM
01z
TECH Regular

its loud as **** too. too loud for daily driving imo
Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01z
its loud as **** too. too loud for daily driving imo

True, it is pretty loud if you don't have cats + headers. Stock manifolds with cats it sounds great though, not very loud, but still louder than any catback I've heard.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Teching In

aren't cut-outs illegal on the street though? my friend had a 94 firebird formula with cut-out exhaust and it def sounded badass.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws649er
aren't cut-outs illegal on the street though? my friend had a 94 firebird formula with cut-out exhaust and it def sounded badass.

I guess it depends on the laws where you're at. Some cars, like srt4's don't have a muffler at all in their exhaust, so bypassing the muffler isn't illegal, unless there's a law that explicitly says you can't do that.

IMO it's not very loud w/stock manifolds and cats, so I don't think you'll be getting pulled over for that. Once you get headers and a catless Y, then it's pretty damned loud