Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Bangs No More!!! Poly intalled today..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust Bangs No More!!! Poly intalled today..

True duals...driver side banged bad. After talking to a lot of people on this site, I went with the Poly motor and tranny mount. I only did the driver side and the tranny mount. I didn't have the will to do the passenger side. My hands were too beat up and my arms were too tired.

Anyway, install took about 5 hours total. I started by dropping the exhaust down, then I took off the header. Total of 1 hour here. After I gained all the access I could, I tore into the mount. It was pretty open for the most part. I used basic tools...nothing special. I unbolted the alternator and moved it to the side....that allowed the main long bolt to slide forward and drop out.

Once I had the new mount installed in the clamshell and bolted together, I put it all back up in place and pulled it towards the back of the car. I was able to coax the main long bolt back in. I then left everything loose and got all the bolts started. I put the alternator back in place and tightened it up, then tightened all the mount and pedestal bolts. I put the header back in and double-checked everything. Then I threw the exhaust back up and tightened it all up.

After all that, like I said, I didn't have the willpower to tear into the other side. So I did the tranny mount. It was quick and simple. I left the bracket that was sandwiched between the original mount and the tranny off. I believe this is the anti-chatter bracket or something like that? I just put the poly mount in the way it came in the mail. If this is something that needs to be in there, someone chime in and let me know please.

After it was all said and done, I took it for a drive and just like everyone said, no more banging. It was great. Everything feels more solid........and the tranny does vibrate. Not too bad, but at cruising speed, there is a small but definite vibration. I don't notice it too much on acceleration or slower speeds, more so at highway speed. Is this normal? Anyway, I was happy with the results and I may do the passenger side one of these days. Or I may just leave it as is. I accomplished my goal and I reccomend this to anyone who has the banging issue.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:39 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on! Glad you got that banging to stop
Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

I just did a head/cam swap. no banging here. (kooks LT) on stock motor mounts and ory.

fuerzaws6
Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a custom TD setup that rides real close to the bottom of the car on the driver side. Like 1/2" clearance at best. Price you pay for a badass system that has better clearance than stock. And now no banging at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Unless you drop the motor I agree with 99hawk the mounts are a nightmare,LOL,glad the one you did helped ya out.