Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Getting wheels chromed... prep?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting wheels chromed... prep?

Got a really good line on a set of GM Z06 rims, scratches... no dings, curbing, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking at having them chromed. Do I need to do anything like strip the paint or other maintenance, before sending them out? I want gooid finish on them, but I dont know how much the chroming will cover up in terms of filling in any small scratches.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most chrome shops request that you do nothing to the part you want them to plate. Whether its a bumper or a wheel. Because they will do the surface prep after they receive the part.

Its like body shop people, they would rather do it right the first time themselves since they are going to be doing it anyway than to try and fix any sand blasting or deep sand paper scratches you or I might do. They have tried and true methods for stripping the paint and usually don't charge any extra for that.

So you shouldn't have to do anything, BUT the only answer you should really go by is what the plating shop that you are going to be using tells you to do. Different business have different opinions on things, so just check with them first.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks,

I leave my hands off them. Now I just need to find a decent shop.

Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike00FRC
Got a really good line on a set of GM Z06 rims, scratches... no dings, curbing, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking at having them chromed. Do I need to do anything like strip the paint or other maintenance, before sending them out? I want gooid finish on them, but I dont know how much the chroming will cover up in terms of filling in any small scratches.

Thanks,

Mike
By wording it "I got a really good line," were you implying that you're still considering the wheels or have you already bought them? Reason I ask is because even though the deal you're getting on these wheels may be good, the amount of coin you can expect to drop on getting a good chrome job done is most likely going to run you REALLY close to spending how much you would spend on a new set of Z06's that have already been chromed. The average going rate for that service is anywhere from $150-$200 per rim depending on how much prep work the shop needs to put into them to get them chrome-worthy. If you haven't already bought the rims, I would suggest calling around and doing a little investigating into how much a chrome job will run you, and then compare that cost with the cost of a new set of chrome Z06's, and see where you come out.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

"Good line" ~ didnt pick them up yet, but am probably picking them up on Saturday. Even if I decide not to get them chromed, I'll still buy them. The price is actually quite good, and would have no problem re-selling them if I decided on a different route w/o taking a loss.

The main reason I was looking at this is that for close to the same price as the chrome repros, I can have a set of the factory speedline rims chromed (lighter + better resale)