Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to read knock retard

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to read knock retard

I am having some issues in reading the knock retard on my truck. What values are typical and how should they be read i.e. volts, degrees, etc. Also, is it possible for autotap to mess up on the readings.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: How to read knock retard

Ignition section will have Knock retard.It reads in degree's.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is measured in degrees.

In a perfect world, you'd have "0" degrees of KR. However, that is generally not the case. Some KR is present at WOT. What is normal and what is getting to be too much is a grey area. In most cases, less than 1 degree to maybe 2-3'ish is on the normal side. You start getting over 3 and you're getting a substantial amount.

What really is more important is "NET" timing. That is your total advance minues KR. I've found that my LS1 (as do a lot of 98 LS1's) like's 24-26 degrees of overall "NET" timing. Whether it advances 24-26 degrees on it's own intitial advance or "NET" of KR, it likes that sweet spot. I'd prefer it to be all initial advance, but that's especially hard on a cammed car.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CMNTMXR57:
<strong> I'd prefer it to be all initial advance, but that's especially hard on a cammed car. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Try dropping your timing at peak torque. With most aftermarket cams the inertial supercharging of the cylinder comes on fairly sudden which can cause detonation with a 'standard' timing table. A reduction in timing between 4400 and 4800 rpm will usually alleviate this problem and allow WOT timing to be taken much higher. If there is not an adequate reduction of timing at peak torque then the motor will detonate from 4400 rpm on up.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Old 03-14-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NoGo:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CMNTMXR57:
<strong> I'd prefer it to be all initial advance, but that's especially hard on a cammed car. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Try dropping your timing at peak torque. With most aftermarket cams the inertial supercharging of the cylinder comes on fairly sudden which can cause detonation with a 'standard' timing table. A reduction in timing between 4400 and 4800 rpm will usually alleviate this problem and allow WOT timing to be taken much higher. If there is not an adequate reduction of timing at peak torque then the motor will detonate from 4400 rpm on up.

Good Luck,
Kevin </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not having any problems! Just stating in a perfect world I'd rather have my optimum timing come from all initial advance, not net of KR.

Quick Reply: How to read knock retard