LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Engine Modification help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Engine Modification help

Hi,

I recently acquired a 96 Ram Air TA that I intend to modify. I have a good bit of experience in what I like to call old school chevy performance I own a 86 550 horse solid roller TA that I have labored over the last 6 years, but this will be my first venture into the world of fuel injection computer controlled performance. I intend to do a total rebuild on the engine, probably will go with a 230 duration size cam, upgrade with headers, exhaust, bigger injectors,throttle body,roller rockers, fuel pump, gears, etc...there are a couple of areas that are a little grey to me and I was hoping maybe to get some insight from some of you guys. First, at what point will you probably have to modify the computer, which from my research it seems I gather the handhelds won't cut it when you are trying to get in the 450 horse range...that you will need to get some tuning software that will allow you more tuning capablities. Second,
will the stock aluminum lt1 heads with bigger valves and heavy porting support the 450 horse range I hope to achive or will you need to go aftermarket. Lastly, I can't seem to find a aftermarket intake for a LT1 or a LT4. Is there not one available I would greatly appreciate any help or insight in these areas. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by METAL MANIAC
First, at what point will you probably have to modify the computer, .
I would reccomend tuning after any "major" change....cam, head, Full exhaust, etc
LT1edit is your friend

Second, will the stock aluminum lt1 heads with bigger valves and heavy porting support the 450 horse range I hope to achive or will you need to go aftermarket..
A good set of ported LT1 casting heads can get you to the 450rwhp range.
I made 422hp/447tq with a set of GTP Stage2 LT1 heads w/a very mild cam
I can vouch for PortPro's or GTP.

Lastly, I can't seem to find a aftermarket intake for a LT1 or a LT4. Is there not one available
The LT1 is not a restriction until you start making crazy power or need to rev past 7000rpm (stock pcm can only support 7200)
Old 02-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much or your information...it is much appreciated...MM

Quick Reply: LT1 Engine Modification help