General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High temp piston slap. need help, car is at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High temp piston slap. need help, car is at the dealer

I took my car in a few months back to have the transmission repaired under warranty and while it was inthe dealership one of the mechanics told me the engine sounds like it has a stuck lifter. I always thought it was piston slap, but i can hear it untill about full operating temp before it goes away. So I take it back to them last thursday b/c the waterpump went out and I tell them to check out that noise. they tell me today " (word for word) yeah the engine guy said he hears what your talkin about, but at this point in time, he doesnt think its a problem yet" ... so I say " so do I just bring it back when it is a problem?" he had no reply and went on to tell me that is was "normal" piston slap blah blah " these engines are just noisy" . i already knew I had piston slap.. im fine with that.

my question is sense it dosent go away untill full operating temp is it still "normal "piston slap? or do I have a problem? car is still under warranty

also, how would you check for "sticky" lifters? Whats the only way to be positive thats what it is? I would think you would have to remove the intake manifold and check each one...right? or could you be 100% sure by just driving it?

Last edited by N3V3RL8T; 02-28-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had an experience with piston slap under warranty. It was bbbbaaaadddd! I bitched up a storm and got all new internals. 5000 miles later its back same exact place #6 cylinder, although not as bad. I would bitch untill they fix it. They tryed that dealer jargon with me calling it cam walk, crank shimmy, etc. I told them I was going to drive it through their showroom and set it on fire. They cut the crap and fixed it. Dont let them BS you.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im not exactly sure its piston slap though thats causing it to sound like a diesel untill about 200 degrees. some times its real loud, some times its not. what ever is causing it has gotten proggressivley worse in the last 10k miles.

this place did the same thing with my transmission. grinding bad in 4th and making lots of bad noises, they say nothings wronge with it. I bitched. they took it apart and decided it was so bad that they gave me a remanufactured t56.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is doing it bad too..Friday i'm taking to valve covers off and tighten anything thats loose and checking for bend pushrods..Ill let you know if that fixes it
Old 03-01-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

awsome, mines at the dealer, they where supposed to tear it down today.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine is doing it bad too..Friday i'm taking to valve covers off and tighten anything thats loose and checking for bend pushrods..Ill let you know if that fixes it
well how did it go>?