Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Sub Box Stolen from dealer parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sub Box Stolen from dealer parking lot

We returned to the dealership to pick up our NY tags and the Sub-woofer box left in the trunk of the grand prix (gto trunk was too small to move it). While the "lot boy" was taking the tag off the back of her car I noticed that the lock had been busted off the trunk. Some one had broken into the trunk and taken her subs...3 10" MTX woofers, Rockford Fosgate 750W amp, and the 60lb box the subs were in. Other than the carpet being pulled up when they took the amp controller wire out and the trunk latch there was no other damage. They left the 200w panasonic head unit untouched.

The sales rep who came out with us spoke with the GM for the dealership. The GM told us that because it was still our car we had to take it through our insurance. My wife was about to go ape $h1T on this guy...we informed him that we would not be going to our ins. and that the police should be informed. The GM proceded to inform us that the dealership is not responsible and could not be held liable.

I am no lawyer.....but

#1 the cars do belong to them...the titles were signed over to them and they are in their custody

#2 we informed the dealership that we would be returning to pick up the speakers (gto's trunk is too small) and we were assured that they would be safe on the lot...we offered to take them out of the car but were told again they would be safe.

#3 the only people who knew that the subs were in the trunk were PEOPLE WHO WORK THERE!!!!!!!!!

I am not 100% on the law in this state...but it seems like the dealership in the wrong..
Old 03-01-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Not sure on the ownership angle but unless the dealership put that "your car is safe here" in writing it will be your word against theirs. They are responsible for the cars there for work/repairs/etc and although the signs they post about not being liable are there, they are basically meaningless. Unfortunately that doesn't translate into them willingly paying out on claims.

Sadly, you would most likely have to take them to small claims court to try to get reimbursed and that is a long and pain-in-the-butt process. Plus there are no guarantees that you will win. Maybe you can find a local lawyer to find out if there are other options.

I also am not sure how a claim with insurance would go as you signed over the car to them. You can most certainly file a Police report but that won't get your stuff back or get you compensation for your stuff.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe if you can just get an atty to give the GM a call and put the fear of God into him. I know that the dealership is actually liable for any dammage done on their lot. (Their lot is chained up at night with only the employees having keys.) Would it not be similar to a tow truck or impound yard being responsible for the car as soon as it is attached to the truck?