PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get big cam to idle in A4 with stock tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get big cam to idle in A4 with stock tune?

How can I get my car to idle with the stock tune with a 227 cam? I know about drilling the hole in the TB out some. What about playing with the idle set screw? I don't even know where it is on the TB. I'm not worried about throwing codes right now, just getting it to stay running without me giving it gas. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2003, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: How to get big cam to idle in A4 with stock tune?

Man I can't believe yours won't stay running. Did you reset the PCM, and let it run for a while, while holding the gas down so it will learn. I put a slightly bigger cam in than you, and I am having troubles getting it to idle worse (to hear the lope). I didn't drill a hole or anything. I really haven't had to do anything to the idle. I believe there is a setscrew on there, you can turn with a small allen wrench, hehe I tried to grind on it a bit, when I was doing the bump stop mod. LOL I know the purists on here wouldn't like that, but it can get you on your way, till you decide to drill out the throttle body.

Edit: Just read you were an a4, I guess thats why your having trouble....but to tell you the truth, mine didn't have troubles staying alive when the A/C was on either....Good luck

<small>[ April 06, 2003, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: TreeGreenZ ]</small>
Old 04-07-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't do it with the idle screw, get number drills and go larger one at a time untill you get your IAC count down into the mid/low 30s.

As you turn the idle screw up more and more, you get farther and farther away from 0% throttle (idle). Your actually doing the same thing as pushing the gas peddle down with your foot.

Chris
Old 04-08-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

I got it to idle. I drilled the throttle body hole and upped the idle set screw. It will hold 500 RPM somehow! I'm gonna see how far I can go on the idle set screw to smooth it out some.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should use the idle set screw first, just don't over do it. 1 turn or so is fine. .6% TPS is ok.

The advantage of the set screw is that it is reversable. Drill too big a hole and you have a PIA to correct for.