General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery going dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car acting weird

Ok here are the symptoms. Today I go to start the car and it wont turn over. The guage cluster has power, so does the radio, but the car wont turn over. So I look at the battery guage, and its hovering around 11 volts or so. This is with the key in the "on" position in the ignition....I give the gas pedal a pump or two, and then it starts up, but idles really low, to the point where it almost stalls.....

Now heres the weird part, the time on the radio resets, but the stations stay the same.....

Im not sure where to start with this. The car is fine after I get it running for a while. I shut it off, wait a few minutes, and start it up, and everything is fine....

Any ideas? Im baffled

Last edited by ravensfan; 03-04-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, the radio stations don't reset even if you remove the entire head unit, so dont worry about that, because a power outtage won't effect the radio stations. Are you throwing any SES lights or anything? Its odd that it would idle badly... because once the engine is running the alternator would give you all the power you need... Normally i'd say that its a starter issue, but i dont believe that is the case either since it was having an idle problem...

Im not sure what to say... hopefully one of the more electronics educated people will chime in...
Old 03-04-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by natronathon
well, the radio stations don't reset even if you remove the entire head unit, so dont worry about that, because a power outtage won't effect the radio stations. Are you throwing any SES lights or anything? Its odd that it would idle badly... because once the engine is running the alternator would give you all the power you need... Normally i'd say that its a starter issue, but i dont believe that is the case either since it was having an idle problem...

Im not sure what to say... hopefully one of the more electronics educated people will chime in...
Thanks, every other radio Ive ever had, everything reset when power was lost to it...

No SES codes....
Old 03-04-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

update......

Ok,once I get the car started, at first it idles bad. The rpms are round 300-500 and then after 5 seconds or so, it levels off to where it should be....Then, i give it some gas and when the revs come back down, they go way down below 500 again, before leveling off.....

But heres the weird thing, If I let the car run for 10 minutes or so, it does none of this. The revs come down as they are supposed to. I can shut off the car, start it back up with zero problems....But if I wait say 5-10 minutes, and start it back up, I get the same ****. Bad idle at first, then after a few minutes all is well.......

Im beginning to think it may be a bad tank of gas, or a dirty filter......Any thoughts?