Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help: Im Stuck!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Im Stuck!!

I have $1,000 and no rims on my car. I'm looking for rims and am completely lost. I have a red 95 hawk. I'm not sure how much to spend on rims or what kind to get. I really like TTII's and C5's. Here are some questions:

1.) Is it worth it to get 18s and have to pay 70% more for tires/drag radials?
2.) Chrome, polished, painted??? This seems to be my biggest problem. I really want chrome but I know it peels in 2 or 3 years. If you have chrome rims and take care of them (washing them about 2 or 3 times a week) and don't drive at all in the winter...will they still pit out and peel? I know salt does this but I do not drive my car in rain, snow, or even in the fall or late winter when there is salt on the grounds. I wait at least until it rains twice before I drive my car. As for polished, I know it doesn't look as good as chrome, is harder to clean, needs a polishing every year, but doesn't pit. Is it worth it to get polished and do all this work just so they don't peel? If anyone has pics of 3 or 4 year old chrome rims...how do they look and can you please post some pics???

Please help me as my car is sitting on jack stands and it's going to be the right weather in 2-3 weeks!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Launching!

ttt...
Old 03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

First of all...polished wheels need to be polished alot more than once a year. On my DD, they start to look noticeably different to me after a week, or maybe 2 washes, whichever comes first. If you are not up to that kinda maintance, then you need to go for chrome. In my limited experience, you should have no problem with chrome if you wash them during your regular car washing...rusting and flaking is a problem with the el cheapo $39.99 American Racing steel wheels of the past...not really the newer wheels
Old 03-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

get tt2s off of ebay for $865, thats what i did. 17x9.5 and 17x11 with 275s and 315s. cost me $1300 total. problem is that they need to be polished monthly at least to keep shiny. but they are worth it.