Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM shut down code P 0601

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM shut down code P 0601

I went to start my 98 Corvette last night and it ran for a few seconds then quit. It cranks but wont fire. The trouble code is P 0601 which states replace PCM. I've got LS1 Edit, can I reflash the program or should I haul it to the dealer for a replacement. The bumber is it left me stranded at a marina, I had to get a ride home and it's still there(I hope).
Old 04-15-2003, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: PCM shut down code P 0601

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DTC P0601Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM)

Circuit Description
The PCM EEPROM contains data which is essential to running the engine and transmission. The PCM continuously checks the integrity of this data.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The PCM is powered-up.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM is unable to correctly read data from the flash memory.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
- The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
- The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The PCM stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
- The PCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
- A last test failed, or current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
- A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
- Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

Important
Remove any debris from the PCM\TAC module connector surfaces before servicing the PCM\TAC module. Inspect the PCM\TAC module connector gaskets when diagnosing/replacing the modules. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent water intrusion into the PCM\TAC modules.

Replace the PCM even if this DTC exists only in history.

For an intermittent, refer to Symptoms .

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2) This DTC indicates an internal PCM problem.

Step 1

Did you perform the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check?
--
Yes: Go to Step 2
No: Go to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check

Step 2

Important:
Program the replacement PCM. Refer to PCM/TAC Module Replacement .

Replace the PCM.

Is the action complete?
--
Yes: Go to Step 3
--

Step 3

1) Select the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) option and the Clear DTC option using the scan tool.
2) Idle the engine at the normal operating temperature.
3) Select the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) option and the Specific DTC option, then enter the DTC number using the scan tool.
4) Operate vehicle within the Conditions for Running this DTC as specified in the supporting text, if applicable.

Does the scan tool indicate that this test ran and passed?
--
Yes: Go to Step 4
No: Go to Step 2

Step 4

Select the Capture Info option and the Review Info option using the scan tool.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?
--
Yes: Go to applicable DTC table
No: System OK</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">