Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with exhaust decision....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with exhaust decision....

I have a 2000 Camaro SS with the stock SLP exhaust (car is stock). I want to put in a chambered muffler (from www.classicchambered.com) in the i-pipe and placing a cutout in between the chambered muffler and stock muffler. So when I open up the cutout I'll have the chambered muffler sound (which is loud I'm sure) and when closed it will sound like stock. Am I right?

One of my questions were when the cutout is closed, I will lose some HP right? Due to flow in the chamber and stock muffler? I didn't find much information on how long the OA length should be? Should I get a short, medium or long powerstick?

I had a loudmouth on my previous car but my girlfriend said it was too loud and during night time driving I would like it to be quietier. I like how the GMMG sounds but just dont want to pay so much for it. Do you think this will be a good idea? Please reply back and share your thoughts on this one.

Last edited by scof0elife; 03-06-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

I plan on doing the same thing for a temporary setup, IMO though.....why keep the stock muffler and add the cutout??? Just go with the Powerstick alone, by itself.
I dont think its going to be a bad loud, like with the LM. I've heard it sounds pretty calm under 2 grand, aggressive over that rpm range.
I just dont see the point of keeping the stock muffler, I thought about a cutout as well......but no point in it really.
I dont think it will be all that loud in my opinion. Check out Silvero2TA on here, he has some good clips of his TA with a Sweet Thunder chambered in the I pipe. Just click in his sig, good luck!
....Oh and by the way, the longer the Powerstick is....the less aggressive it will be. It will be calmer, the longer it is.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Why don't you guys go with an over the axle out the rear in the stock location true dual exhaust set up? It is the best exhaust system that you can install on your car.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking of getting the 21" powerstick, you think that would be good enough? What do most people put on here? I just dont want it being loud, but just as long as its not as loud at the loudmouth then I'm good.

Originally Posted by 98Trans
I plan on doing the same thing for a temporary setup, IMO though.....why keep the stock muffler and add the cutout??? Just go with the Powerstick alone, by itself.
I dont think its going to be a bad loud, like with the LM. I've heard it sounds pretty calm under 2 grand, aggressive over that rpm range.
I just dont see the point of keeping the stock muffler, I thought about a cutout as well......but no point in it really.
I dont think it will be all that loud in my opinion. Check out Silvero2TA on here, he has some good clips of his TA with a Sweet Thunder chambered in the I pipe. Just click in his sig, good luck!
....Oh and by the way, the longer the Powerstick is....the less aggressive it will be. It will be calmer, the longer it is.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Over the axle? true dual setup? hmmm just a bit confused, where can I buy those parts? Cause I know if I just go with the powerstick I will need to buy some kind of piping to connect the tailpipes together right? Hmmmm, dang I want to order my parts tonight

Originally Posted by JEB Garner
Why don't you guys go with an over the axle out the rear in the stock location true dual exhaust set up? It is the best exhaust system that you can install on your car.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Launching!

I'm going to do true duals, once I get my car registered back to CA haha. For now, I want to stay smog legal, so I can pass an inspection....once I do, the true duals go on!
I think most guys on here run the shortest Powerstick there is. Thats what I'll be running.
As far as pipe to connect the Powerstick, just get a Texas Speed Rumbler Catback, its only $200 without tips. It is only mild steel though, if you want stainless steel go with the LM pipes. Then just replace their mufflers with a Powerstick.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

By picking the shortest powerstick, how loud will the exhaust sound comparing to a loudmouth (scale from 1 to 10 and 10 being a loudmouth)? Well I was thinking of getting the tsp rumble. well my exhaust is stock slp which I like at time when theres like a cop near me or when I'm driving at night or our with my gf cause she doesn't like it too loud.

so my thought is to keep the slp muffler and place in a powerstick (chambered muffler) in the I-pipe and a cutout after it. so instead of the cutout being after the cats it'll be after then powerstick and have a more controlled sound. so flow will go through the powerstick first then out from the cutout.

I was going to pick the middle size powerstick which is

IN/OUT PART# CORE BODY DIA. BODY LENGTH OA LENGTH
3" 3026SB 3" 3-1/2" 20" 25"

and the shortest one will be

IN/OUT PART# CORE BODY DIA. BODY LENGTH OA LENGTH
3" 3020SB 3" 3-1/2" 16 " 21"

so guys help me pick one

Originally Posted by 98Trans
I'm going to do true duals, once I get my car registered back to CA haha. For now, I want to stay smog legal, so I can pass an inspection....once I do, the true duals go on!
I think most guys on here run the shortest Powerstick there is. Thats what I'll be running.
As far as pipe to connect the Powerstick, just get a Texas Speed Rumbler Catback, its only $200 without tips. It is only mild steel though, if you want stainless steel go with the LM pipes. Then just replace their mufflers with a Powerstick.