Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

good turbo "?" , experts please>>

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good turbo "?" , experts please>>

so I'm having an argument w/myself, here's the deal, if a turbo has a 4" opening but funnels down to 2.5" and the blades are only in the 2.5" opening (I think you all know what I mean), could you have a reducer from 4"-2.5" and run hard 2.5"piping to a pretty large air filter, would that still supply the turbo w/enough air seeing as how your not accually changing or dropping the true inlet size??
I need some help figureing this out, 50% of me is saying it will work, 25% saying it "might" work, and the other 25% wondering what the f@%k is going on...
Old 03-07-2006, 05:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

in a compressor the inlet needs to be larger then the outlet.
alot plays into the flow on how the inducer gets its supply of air.
it will work though but not as well as if it had large piping into the inducer.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

do you think it would be enough to see a drop in psi on a turbo thats allready running in the 90% range?, granted the air filter is quite large...

the turbo in your sig looks like the opening is allmost the same size as the blades take up, the one I'm talkin about the opening is large but the blades are small in the center...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Turbos are really good at blowing, not so good at sucking. Anything that you can do to limit inlet depression at the compressor is a good thing. That being said, no piping/filter at all with an asme cone inlet bell is the best thing you can do. As you put piping infront of the compressor you always lower the pressure at the inducer. Will it limit flow, sure some. The main thing to remember is the pressure ratio you see on compressor maps is assuming the inlet is at ambient. As you lower the pressure at the inlet, your PR will go up for a constant outlet pressure. It may put you in a region of the map that's on the choke line, or drop your efficiency enough to raise IAT's alot. Or it may put you in a better region. All depends on the compressor.

Short answer...
Will it work? Yes. Ideal solution? No.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the shorter answer better!!! I always thought turbo's did not suck!!!

Kurt
Old 03-07-2006, 09:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N/A motors suck! Turbo's Blow!

Stenod
Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Don't you two have work to do??
Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

there goes that kettle rattling off again!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Assassin
so I'm having an argument w/myself, here's the deal, if a turbo has a 4" opening but funnels down to 2.5" and the blades are only in the 2.5" opening (I think you all know what I mean), could you have a reducer from 4"-2.5" and run hard 2.5"piping to a pretty large air filter, would that still supply the turbo w/enough air seeing as how your not accually changing or dropping the true inlet size??
I need some help figureing this out, 50% of me is saying it will work, 25% saying it "might" work, and the other 25% wondering what the f@%k is going on...
The simple answer is keep the restriction on the compressor inlet down as low as possible.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
The simple answer is keep the restriction on the compressor inlet down as low as possible.
Jose, is there any specific source of info that would help calculating an inlet? Specifically I am thinking about the rear-mount setups that want a better solution to water than the [restrictive] sock over the filter. STS is now offering a flexy hose [snorkel] to relocate the air filter. I am thinking a box...but how large of a pipe back to the turbo? The flexy hose will induce more flow restriction than something smooth sided...but...???

Thoughts????
Old 04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to bring this back TTT. We need a bit more discussion about my last question, if anyone can help!

I have since added the 3" STS duct to relocate the filter, but it clearly is inducing some restriction. Power is affected. So, I am considering a 4" diameter, smooth sided flex pipe and larger K&N. 3" pipe has just 56.25% of the cross-sectional area of a 4", so airflow should be significantly improved.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give Jose a call. He can calculate that for you. Not sure how he does it or what the limits are, but I know he does do that. I have heard him say that 275ft/s is the threshold on the piping.

Quick Reply: good turbo "?" , experts please>>