LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD ignition

I bought a msd digital 6 and the connector for my coil. I was going to have my wiring buddy who does race cars wire it in, and he did some research and said that msd on optispark cars, kills the opti after awhile. Had anyone heard of this or no? I know a bunch of people run it and i dont think they have problems, but he told me to run the accell 300 system. any info helps, so i know if i have to see this system or what. thanks.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fsterthenult1
I bought a msd digital 6 and the connector for my coil. I was going to have my wiring buddy who does race cars wire it in, and he did some research and said that msd on optispark cars, kills the opti after awhile. Had anyone heard of this or no? I know a bunch of people run it and i dont think they have problems, but he told me to run the accell 300 system. any info helps, so i know if i have to see this system or what. thanks.
then get the msd opti

no really, I've never heard of that.

What I have heard is that the factory coil is pretty stout and the msd doesnt really do anything.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

THe msd doesn't kill the opti at all, It kill the cap and rotor after a long period of time if it's stock. Just swap out for the msd cap and rotor which was designed to work with thier 6a and 6al box and you'll be fine.

Paul
Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ignition "upgrades" are pretty much a wasted effort on these cars unless you are boosted or spraying. OEMs stepped up ignitions systems to meet milage and emmisions goals. I know it was a popular thing to do on gen1s but that doesn'r mean it is still a great thing to spend money on.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

yea i spent a lot of $ on my ignition and really wish i would have just done a delteq or something, i have everything msd except the opti. it is cool and all but... not really worth the money if you are n/a. and it did mess up my first opti, my second though is running strong.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Ignition mods are good if you have increased the engines ability to breath, rev or make more cylinder pressure. On a stock car it doesn't do much. I have heard of the MSD killing Opti theory but have never experienced it. I ran a Digitial 6 on my last setup with no problems.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I have forged domed pistons. port job, cc306, 2800 stall, 410 gear, new 1.6 rockers, hooker lts, no air, no egr, shift kit, pcmforless tune, msd coil, and am getting ready to run a 175 dry shot, i have the digital 6 that i got for xmas, and heard taht the kill our cars good. So, i will prolly give it a shot and see waht happens, thanks guys.