Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual to a th400

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual to a th400

well my manual trans is shot im my 98 camaro SS. I have a built th400 with a trans brake. Will this be a pain to convert over. also if any of you know what parts or install kits are available for this that would help.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope its pretty easy. there are many threads about what all is needed.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a parts list at my house but i can give you the basics of what you'll need from memory... it's actually more than most people think....

Tranny itself
Converter
flexplate (internal or external balance depending on what your motor is)
dipstick (madman makes one for our cars for a TH400)
External cooler (preferably with a fan)
you'll need about 15' of braided steel teflon lined hose for the cooler if you're going to put it up front (recommended) as well as fittings to connect it to cooler/tranny
Torque arm (if you don't already have one that connects to the body as the stocker connects to the tailshaft and the 400 doesn't have a provision for that)
T56 crossmember or new BMR unit (will work if you use a spacer. However BMR makes a TH400 crossmember for our cars that is much cleaner and more professional looking)
Shifter (I prefer a Turbo Action Cheetah)
ARP flexplate bolts and converter bolts (your choice but good insurance)
Fluid for tranny
some wire (gotta wire the neutral safety switch to the clutch switch wires on your clutch pedal sensor thingy, cut them from the sensor and wire them up to the neutral safety switch on the cheetah shifter)

My whole setup from T56 to 400 was about 3K give or take....

tranny was 1200, converter was 900, cooler was 180, shifter was 250, torque arm was like 400, lines were 100, flexplate was like 130.... used my old t56 crossmember until recently....

You'll also need new tires after you get that thing in there cause it'll burn em like a ****** crackhead smoking rocks.... one ride in my car and my buddy who was a long time T56 supporter, starting saving for a TH400 which is now in his car...... the acceleration is wild.... and what two words are cooler than "Trans Brake"?????? Hope this helps.... Oh and if you want your speedo to work you'll have to get a reluctor and sensor... I believe there is a company called Jags that Run that can get you what you need.... Check out Jeff Stevens webpage for the info.... http://para.noid.org/~lj... think that's it...