Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter acting strange, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 05:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter acting strange, please help!

I've got a Yank SS3800 in my car, and recently had it tuned and also put 3.73's in. On the way to the shop to get it tuned, I noticed that it wasn't wanting to lock up right, but thought that it might be a side effect from the gear swap confusing the car on the actual speed. When getting the car tuned, they had to turn the line pressure up to get the converter to lock up on the dyno, it would give a fault on the PC every time they tried until then. Since then, the converter doesn't want to lock up until I'm going up a slope, then it will every time, as long as I'm at 50+ mph, but won't running down the road on level ground, even at 65-70 mph on the interstate. The car seems to be running a little rich, but other than that pretty good. My only tank of gas that I ran through it since getting it tuned, I only got 135 miles plus about 10 dyno pulls out of it. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing these problems?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT.....Anybody?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Well im not too experienced in this field, but.... I just had my H/C setup done with a 3600 stall and it wouldnt lock up until after i got it tuned... but i was getting on 4 miles to the gallon and my yank stall has to be sent back because it could be defective.. just to let you know your gas mileage isnt that bad.. but it is something that should be checked out if you feel something isnt right.. goodluck and hope you figure it out
Old 03-18-2006, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hesitate to even say this,but i had some troubles with my SS4000 and the lock up clutch coming apart on me.
I lost all lock up and thought it was something else(other than convertor ) because i only had 11,000 miles on it(99% highway and only 1 trip to the track with no heavy nitrous use)
I pulled the pan and found nothing bad there(fluid looked great too)i ripped open the trans filter and found a few small pieces of a light tan material.
Called Yank and was told to send the vertor in for checking out.
turns out it was lock up material from the clutch.

I will say that Yank fixed the warranty issue with no troubles at all,and i was back in business in a few weeks.
My problem was a bad lock up clutch,BUT ,it does not mean that is your problem.

Just check your fluid and open the filter up.

Good luck
Dave
Old 03-18-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I heard back from my tuner late last night and he said that the duty cycle may need to be turned up in the program. Don't know at all if that is the case, but hopefully I'll find out sometime this week. Anybody else have any ideas?