General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil change frequency question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil change frequency question

Last year I only put about 2k miles on my Z. I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and the oil that came out was as clean as the oil I put in. I run the German Castrol Syntec and I thought it was a good idea to change the oil once a year no matter what the mileage was but I'm starting to re think that. Do you guys think I can get away with changing the oil every 2 years? Is 3 too long? What would be the maximum mileage you think I could get away with between oil changes? I never put more than 2-5k per year on my car

I'm not trying to be cheap but it's getting harder and harder to find the German Castrol and ever since I switched I stopped burning oil and do not want to go back to another oil for as long as I can. I have about 25 qts of the GC in reserve so I'm trying to stretch my oil change interval as long as possible without hurting my engine.
Thanks!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your never going to really know the answers to your questions until you have your used oil analyzed.

I get mine done at http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They are telling me my analysis are so good on the GC I can push it to 7000 miles between changes.

I’ve been doing 6K intervals.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm running GC 0w30 in my mom's 2001 Golf and since she doesn't drive very much I am going to be doing 2 year intervals. She has only about 6k on the oil right now and it will hit the two year mark this July. I will send off the oil for analysis, so stay tuned for the results! I'm pretty confident that the analysis report will show I am not hurting anything.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Im 3K guy my self....Prolly throwing money away but the piece of mind I get knowing that Im never ever pushing the limits on my oil....Im some time s a bit late so Ive been known to push 4500..and once I went all the way to 6K....

Wheezer...How much would an oil analysis cost
Old 03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I put about 3000 miles a year on my 02 SS. Running Mobil 1 - I'm changing every 2 years.

Last edited by SSmith; 03-18-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Your never going to really know the answers to your questions until you have your used oil analyzed.

I get mine done at http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They are telling me my analysis are so good on the GC I can push it to 7000 miles between changes.

I’ve been doing 6K intervals.
Thanks Weezzer! I'm going to go 6k on my GC and then send it off for analysis to check. I still have the oil from my last change but that only had about 2k miles on it so that would probably be a waste ta have that analyzed.